Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 365 startup causes maps and files in OneDrive / OneNote
LexV#1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2017 03:32 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Everytime I start up PowerDirector 365 I find maps and files in my OneDrive / OneNote map. I can delete them, but after starting up again, the same maps and files are in there also again. How can I stop this / change the destiny map?

Thanks for your help!

LexV
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like PD might have set the default export folder for produced clips somewhere on OneDrive. Those are temporary files and will be deleted automatically after 30 days (unless you change the duration), but to change the destination away from OneDrive on the Preferences | File menu.
LexV#1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like PD might have set the default export folder for produced clips somewhere on OneDrive. Those are temporary files and will be deleted automatically after 30 days (unless you change the duration), but to change the destination away from OneDrive on the Preferences | File menu.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

In the preferences I don't have the destination on OneDrive / OneNote. So how PowerDirector has invented to look at my map OneDrive / OneNote is still a puzzle for me. Also the other applications of Cyberlink choose for this destination. At this moment I have the following maps in OneDrive / OneNote:

AudioDirector / live / Splitterindex
Cyberlink Drive / PowerDirector
PowerDirector / 19.0 / MyCollage
/ MyTitles
/ My Trans
/ Cache Files 01

I never gave in to clutter mij OneDrive / OneNote map with these maps and files.

When I delete them, next time I use Cyberlink applications they are back again.

So again: how to change this???
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that it is standard behavior of Windows 10 since at least 2 years ago to back up anything in the photos and documents folders to the one drive to protect everyone. It is not the default behavior of my win 10 laptop purchased back in 2015. It is best that you pony up the monthly fees to Microsoft for this service since one only gets a limited amount of GB storage for free. Cyberlink temp files are in the documents folder by default.

Cyberlink software temp files are backed up to the win 10 use of onedrive. I had to disable this since I use a 8 GB external drive for backup storage. Look up on the internet how if you want to do this. My newer software installations like office 365 still use the onedrive for storage and the hard drive for backups only.
LexV#1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I believe that it is standard behavior of Windows 10 since at least 2 years ago to back up anything in the photos and documents folders to the one drive to protect everyone. It is not the default behavior of my win 10 laptop purchased back in 2015. It is best that you pony up the monthly fees to Microsoft for this service since one only gets a limited amount of GB storage for free. Cyberlink temp files are in the documents folder by default.

Cyberlink software temp files are backed up to the win 10 use of onedrive. I had to disable this since I use a 8 GB external drive for backup storage. Look up on the internet how if you want to do this. My newer software installations like office 365 still use the onedrive for storage and the hard drive for backups only.

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Still strange that the map OneDrive / OneNote has been chosen by Windows or Cyberlink to store files. Why not in a map like OneDrive / Cyberlink or OneDrive / Backup documents or the like. Also strange that you can't easily change this. I pay for a yearly license of MS Office including 1Tb storage. So it is only a small amaount of storage that you loose. But still it seems black magic.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Still strange that the map OneDrive / OneNote has been chosen by Windows or Cyberlink to store files. Why not in a map like OneDrive / Cyberlink or OneDrive / Backup documents or the like. Also strange that you can't easily change this. I pay for a yearly license of MS Office including 1Tb storage. So it is only a small amaount of storage that you loose. But still it seems black magic.

Hi,

Do these links throw any light on the OneDrive default backup??

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/stopping-onedrive-from-auto-sync/8b916ffb-e34c-47d1-a169-e0d9221549e0

https://www.techbout.com/disable-auto-save-onedrive-windows-10-5507/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/files-save-to-onedrive-by-default-in-windows-10-33da0077-770c-4bda-b61e-8c8e8ca70ac7

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/15/17691856/microsoft-onedrive-folder-protection-feature

https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-use-onedrive-pc-folder-backup

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
Julian Lilio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2020 22:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Apologies for reopening this thread when it's marked as "solved" by the original poster. I just didn't find the need to open a new thread for a similar matter. Let me know if I need to open a new thread or ticket.

What if you still NEED to sync most of your document files to OneDrive cloud BUT don't WANT to sync your Cyberlink files on the cloud? Note, that this does not only affect PowerDirector since I'm on Director Suite. What happened was that all Cyberlink backup and temp files gets synced to the cloud immediately after installation (because it wasn't asked where to store them to begin with). So I ran out of space on my cloud storage right away (which are not intended to store Cyberlink files).

Attempting to change all changeable paths available on Preferences (while tedious) will not entirely solve the issue as there ar folders that are still (at present PowerDirector version), will still default on the local OneDrive folder that gets synced to the cloud:

OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\20.0\MyGradients
OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\20.0\MyTitles
OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\20.0\MyTrans

I recommend the following solution for Cyberlink dev team:

Allow users to choose their own folders UPON installation (at least for those that are known to be installed on the local folder that gets synced to OneDrive by default). Then users like me, don't get VERY frustrated that it messed up their current settings and WILL involve so much time to waste just to get it under control.

My two cents.

Best regards

Julian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2021 03:39