Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
juddering in preview and produced video
jamespearce89 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2021 14:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have produced a video from about 20 iPhone clips and the preview and the video produced is juddery (not smooth). This is particularly true in panning shots like outdoor scenary. To be completely fair, GoPro clips are the same. Any ideas? Thanks, James.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that there is a rule of thumb for panning that it should take at least 7 sec. For an object that appears at the left edge of a video to appear at the right edge and vice versa for a smooth pan.
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
As james said, a slow panning speed is very important.

Another key factor to look at is:
1) What frame rate you are shooting at
2) What shutter speed are you using

Many will recomend the traditional "180 degree" rule (or setting the shutter speed at twice the frame rate) so that if you are shooting at 30fps then you shutter speed should the 1/60sec. This will result in each frame having some motion blur so that in video panning is less jumpy and looks smoother.

FWIW, I shoot and view my fotage at 50fps and use "360 degrees" so my shutter speed is also 1/50sec (or effectivly no shutter at all!). The challenge is then to manage exposure in other ways (changing apparture, gain, use of ND etc). PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
jamespearce89 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2021 14:40 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I believe that there is a rule of thumb for panning that it should take at least 7 sec. For an object that appears at the left edge of a video to appear at the right edge and vice versa for a smooth pan.

Thanks for your input. Usually my panning speeds are greater than 7 seconds per frame width, more like 10. I have some control with my GoPro 9, filming at 2.7K @ 25fps and the Super wide angle. The iPhone is more limited to very basic controls. What is the issue with faster pan speeds? Is it the high amount of data required for each frame change overwhelming the screen writing process?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that you need to stay away from auto settings from both cameras. Some people’s eyes are sensitive to video that does not have that motion blur. Others are just fine with it. You need to use manual settings for shutter speeds, say 1/60 for 30 fps, 1/125 for 60 fps video and you should be fine as suggested by jmone.

Assuming that your hands were steady and not shaking badly when recording the video which is another story that needs to be solved if that is the case.
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
It's not the data rate, its how much the camera has moved between each frame that is captured and how long the shutter is open for. Think of it as a series of still photos for a second. If you are shooting 25fps on a 1/50 of a second then the shutter is closed for 50% of the time so any quick movement is not recorded at that time. If you are running 1/250th of a sec. then the shutter is closed for 90% of the time making the panning judder much more noticable. We have been conditioned for years watching 1/50 - 1/60th shutter speeds, so to most of us that is what looks "normal". You will also notice how increadibly slowly pans are done in Hollywood movies.

I'm not an iPhone user but isn't there some apps that give you more control? The other issue you are going to have is that I'm pretty sure the iPhone will not do 25 or 50fps (Edit: I'm wrong apparantly you can https://beebom.com/record-video-pal-format-iphone/). So you are going to end up mixing different frames rates in your edit suite resulting in judder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine The only way to avoide this type of judder (if you find it objectionable) will be to capture, edit, and view all footage in the same (or a clean multiple) of the frame rate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2021 23:27

PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for your input. Usually my panning speeds are greater than 7 seconds per frame width, more like 10. I have some control with my GoPro 9, filming at 2.7K @ 25fps and the Super wide angle. The iPhone is more limited to very basic controls. What is the issue with faster pan speeds? Is it the high amount of data required for each frame change overwhelming the screen writing process?

Hi,

Just to add a general point, sometimes overlooked.

Make sure your cameras have not got some form of stabilisation operating. That can lead to shuddering as the stabilization software tries to accommodate the movement.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do