Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screencast Video loses quality after adding to Timeline (preview on highest)
TimmyTheC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 21, 2021 11:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to create a movie with computer screen help.

Original videos captured at 1920/1080 resolution ... producing in PDR13 at 1080p resolution.

But the videos are leaving out horizontal lines of resolution ... a "T" looks like an "I" because the top line is missing.

I've made videos before and never had a problem with resolution, and can't figure out what's causing the problem now.

If I watch a video fullscreen that's not pulled into the timeline, it's perfect and I can read the tiniest fonts onscreen.

Once I pull that video into the timeline and watch it fullscreen there (in highest preview quality) .. it's horizontally pixelated.

I've searched everywhere for a solution, but this seems to be a problem hard to search for because 99% of people's answers are to "adjust the preview resolution" ...

Rendering the videos at 1080p produces a lower quality video than the original, leaving out horizontal lines ... making any small text on screen virtually unreadable.

Please help!?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Can you share one of the clips that you're working with? It would really help to see the technical specs and see exactly how it looks.

If you have one smaller than 100MB you can directly upload it here using the Attachments button below the forum's text box. Otehrwise upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.
TimmyTheC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can you share one of the clips that you're working with? It would really help to see the technical specs and see exactly how it looks.

If you have one smaller than 100MB you can directly upload it here using the Attachments button below the forum's text box. Otehrwise upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

Ok .. here you go ... nothing done to this file except it was imported into PDR13 .. and produced at 1920x1080 (the source's native resolution), 30fps, and 16 mbps.
 Filename
section02-Quick_Add_Client_Policy.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
original quality
 Filesize
2332 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
113 time(s)
 Filename
section2-produced.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
produced through PDR13 at 1920x1080, 30fps, 16mbps
 Filesize
17169 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
hi there.
your capture is not 1920x1080. it is 1920x1000 resolution.
set your capture at CRF and 1. it'll give you bigger files but it's worth it.

my PD12 produced same as yours(using mediainfo) . if you're not doing anything to the captured videos then just use what you're using Handbrake!

don't expect too much from a less than 300kb/sec video bitrates... garbage in garbage out.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've done a little analysis. I'll list the findings but I don't know what they mean but others might see something.

Win10 file properties see the file as progressive
MediaInfo sees the file as progressive

PDR12 sees it as interlaced
PDR13 sees it as interlaced
PDR14 sees it as interlaced

PDR15 sees it as progressive
PDR16 sees it as progressive
PDR19 sees it as progressive (Presume PDR 17 and 18 likewise)

PDR12,13,14 show the timeline preview as pixellated
PDR15 onwards show the timeline preview as normal

PDR15 shows a produced file as normal (presume 16-19 will do also)

So it appears that earlier versions of PDR see the file as interlaced and have the issue, later versions see it as progressive and have no issue.

I note that the writing app shown by MediaInfo is Handbrake 1.3.2. Perhaps this might also have a bearing on these findings?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the "before" and "after" clips.

I agree with PepsiMan regarding problems with your source clip. I also get the same terrible results when previewing and producing in PD13. The clip previews fine while in the media library, but it turns to crap once the clip is placed on the timeline. Interestingly, PD14 and later versions have no trouble with the clip at all, so this issue is specific to PD13 and earlier versions.

According to MediaInfo, the "section02-" clip is AVC 1920x1080 30.00fps and it was created using Handbrake 1.3.2. See attached detailed report.

There are issues with the latest release of Handbarke (as described here) and when I open the clip in Handbrake 1.2.2 it shows the true pixel size as 1920x1008 which may be where the PD13 issue is coming from.

Like PepsiMan said, setting the screen recorder to constant frame rate and using a much higher bitrate (at least 1Mbps rather than 216kbps) will probably solve the issue.
 Filename
section02 clip specs.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Media
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]

PD13 saw the clip as interlaced on my system as well, but when I changed it to progressive it always appeared as progressive even though I never saved the project or any changes. That may have impacted how PD14 saw it since I checked afterwards and it was progressive there too.

On my system, the timeline clip in PD14 looks perfectly fine at Full HD preview resolution as shown in the attached screenshot.
[Thumb - PD14 preview.png]
 Filename
PD14 preview.png
[Disk]
 Description
full screen
 Filesize
857 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
TimmyTheC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote hi there.
your capture is not 1920x1080. it is 1920x1000 resolution.
set your capture at CRF and 1. it'll give you bigger files but it's worth it.

my PD12 produced same as yours(using mediainfo) . if you're not doing anything to the captured videos then just use what you're using Handbrake!

don't expect too much from a less than 300kb/sec video bitrates... garbage in garbage out.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Hi Pepsiman .. where are you getting your resolution settings in that input file?
When I view the settings, I'm seeing 1920 x 1080 ...

Are you measuring it yourself in visible pixels? If so, it was originally captured at 1008 .. then black bars added to bring it to 1080.

Either way, we have a native 1080 that was captured without any doctoring, and it has the same bad output. It just didn't have any many words on the screen to show how bad it looks so I didn't use it in the example here.

And for my reference .. is there a certain codec that is recommended for screen capturing to preserver perfect resolution?

Thanks,
Tim
[Thumb - resolution.jpg]
 Filename
resolution.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
102 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
TimmyTheC [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I've done a little analysis. I'll list the findings but I don't know what they mean but others might see something.

Win10 file properties see the file as progressive
MediaInfo sees the file as progressive

PDR12 sees it as interlaced

PDR15 sees it as progressive
PDR16 sees it as progressive
PDR19 sees it as progressive (Presume PDR 17 and 18 likewise)

PDR15 shows a produced file as normal (presume 16-19 will do also)

So it appears that earlier versions of PDR see the file as interlaced and have the issue, later versions see it as progressive and have no issue.

I note that the writing app shown by MediaInfo is Handbrake 1.3.2. Perhaps this might also have a bearing on these findings?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

INTERLACED!!! ... that would cause it ...

No way to force progressive in PDR 13?

I'm googling for a way to do that ... or use another program like Handbrake, etc ..

At the worst, I could upgrade to PDR19 ...

Thanks for the help, guys.

-Tim
optodata
[Post New]
Quote INTERLACED!!! ... that would cause it ...

No way to force progressive in PDR 13?

You can easily force it by right-clicking on the clip and choosing Set Clip Attributes > Set TV Format. However telling PD13 it's progressive doesn't change the quality issue on my system.

I even ran the clip through Handbrake 1.2.2 forcing it to be 1920x1080 and there was no change in the timeline preview quality, so it would be better to make sure the original recording is actually the full screen size. Also, why have you run it through Handbrake at all?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Using the PD12 that PepsiMan used. did the Set TV Format/Scan and suggest on the original and it changed to progressive. Produced at the OP’s mp4 setting. The result is as bad as the one he submitted. Found that the produced file is fine when using the later versions of PD tested by the PM.