Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
editing in 365 doesnt synch with timeline
mxquattro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 08, 2016 13:54 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Im stumped on something, however Ill say Im new to 365.
In my previous version, if I add a media file (single file) to my library, nothing happens until I drag it to my timeline, when it would then show up in the preview window. Then when I clicked on a place on the timeline, the preview window would jump to that point.

Now, in 365, as soon as I add it to my library it shows up in the preview window before I even drag it to the timeline. And that means when I click on a spot on the timeline, it doesnt synch up with the preview window. Ive just spent 4 hours trying to figure it out so I thought Id check with the experts here.
Thanks for any tips.
bob
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe you can show us, Bob, what you mean?
Which is the previous version you came from. What you describe sounds “normal” behavior to me. for PD 19 / 365.
The clips you select in the media-room will be shown in the preview screen. They will play (audio and video) when you press the space bar or the play button. Once you have moved/dragged the clip to the timeline, AND you select the clip then that clip will be shown in the previews screen, and will play with spacebar or play button.
But clicking on a spot in the timeline may be tricky: what is the spot you click on. If you click anywhere in the video or audio track of a clip, you select that clip and the “cursor” will be positioned at the start of the clip unless the cursor was already somewhere in that clip. If you click on a spot at the top of the timeline where the yellow time indicator is shown, the “cursor” will be positioned at that very place in the video clip or clips under that spot and the top clip will be selected automatically.
But you also write about not syncsing up with the preview screen; that is a bit confusing to me. So maybe you can explain, or show us what you do, with either a screen shot or a screen recording of the action?
mxquattro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe you can show us, Bob, what you mean?
Which is the previous version you came from. What you describe sounds “normal” behavior to me. for PD 19 / 365.
The clips you select in the media-room will be shown in the preview screen. They will play (audio and video) when you press the space bar or the play button. Once you have moved/dragged the clip to the timeline, AND you select the clip then that clip will be shown in the previews screen, and will play with spacebar or play button.
But clicking on a spot in the timeline may be tricky: what is the spot you click on. If you click anywhere in the video or audio track of a clip, you select that clip and the “cursor” will be positioned at the start of the clip unless the cursor was already somewhere in that clip. If you click on a spot at the top of the timeline where the yellow time indicator is shown, the “cursor” will be positioned at that very place in the video clip or clips under that spot and the top clip will be selected automatically.
But you also write about not syncsing up with the preview screen; that is a bit confusing to me. So maybe you can explain, or show us what you do, with either a screen shot or a screen recording of the action?

Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated. Thats exactly how I thought it should work but its not doing it for me. I think I came from ver 12 before this. Here is a youtube link of whats going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMKzUiyOU88

to add to it:
-How do I prevent that other window from opening up?
-How do I prevent the media library from preloading with their crap?

You will see no matter where I click, I cant get my timeline to play in that preview window at all.
Bob
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
mxquattro, that window in the upper right is not the timeline preview window. Click the "X" in the upper right of that window to close it and you should get back the normal timeline preview window.

Jeff
mxquattro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote mxquattro, that window in the upper right is not the timeline preview window. Click the "X" in the upper right of that window to close it and you should get back the normal timeline preview window.

Jeff

Jeff, if I do that nothing re-appears in that space. It just becomes blank. Even after I import a video file and drag it on to my time line and select it.
Bob
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Do you now have the ability to "Reset All Undocked Windows" or "Dock/Undock Library Window" with a right mouse click in the media library? If, so, do the Reset option.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
A couple tips that might help. To prevent the sample clips from loading when you create a new project, simply uncheck the Automatically load sample clips... option from Preferences | Project.

It may be that you've got your timeline preview settings set too high and you're not waiting long enough for PD to catch up to where you're placing the timeline scrubber. Try setting the Preview Quality to Full HD or HD, like this:

You can also click on the Play button or hit the spacebar to start previewing the timeline once you've placed the scrubber.

I'm not clear on what "other window" you want to prevent from opening up. I don't even see the Import media window when you selected the clip, so you may want to try recording the full screen rather than locking screen recorder to just the PD app. That way we can see everything you're seeing.
mxquattro [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote A couple tips that might help. To prevent the sample clips from loading when you create a new project, simply uncheck the Automatically load sample clips... option from Preferences | Project.

It may be that you've got your timeline preview settings set too high and you're not waiting long enough for PD to catch up to where you're placing the timeline scrubber. Try setting the Preview Quality to Full HD or HD, like this:

You can also click on the Play button or hit the spacebar to start previewing the timeline once you've placed the scrubber.

I'm not clear on what "other window" you want to prevent from opening up. I don't even see the Import media window when you selected the clip, so you may want to try recording the full screen rather than locking screen recorder to just the PD app. That way we can see everything you're seeing.

THank you! I was able to make the default stuff from loading on startup.

-when I click the x out of that preview window, nothing appears there, its black space. When I add a video to my timeline, and select it, then hit space bar nothing appears. Its still black. Nada. I cant get that clip to play to save my life. No preview window appears. And likewise the menu option you show me above doesnt exist for me. Im guessing its somewhere on the play window that doesnt show up? The video Im using is very short and very low res, so It shouldnt take more than a couple of seconds for PD to render the frames on the timeline.

Bob
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
-when I click the x out of that preview window, nothing appears there, its black space. When I add a video to my timeline, and select it, then hit space bar nothing appears. Its still black. Nada.

That's because for some reason the actual preview window is offscreen as Jeff mentioned above. PLease follow his suggestion to reset all undocked windows.

If that doesn't work, try the registry edit described in this post. Please follow the steps exactly as described.
mxquattro [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's because for some reason the actual preview window is offscreen as Jeff mentioned above. PLease follow his suggestion to reset all undocked windows.

If that doesn't work, try the registry edit described in this post. Please follow the steps exactly as described.

Ahhhh I dont know how I missed Jeffs post but that exactly did it, thank you all so much! I clicked on "this helped me" as well. I really appreciate all your help!
Bob