Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smoothing skin in PowerDirector
babybluebird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 06, 2021 18:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello! I am interested in editing videos for YouTube in PowerDirector. I downloaded the Essential (free) version today, but understand that I need to upgrade to a paid version in order to remove the watermark on the rendered videos.

My question is that I would like to have the ability to smooth skin/remove wrinkles in my videos. I couldn't find a way to do this in the Essential version . . . is this something that can automatically be done in a paid version of PowerDirector 19 or 365? If not, what is the best plug-in to use in order to perform this function?

Thank you for any help you can provide to this PD newbie!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There is a plug-in called BorisFX BCC Beauty Studio which is custom-made for touching up faces. It's worked great when I needed to use it, although it only seems to be available with the full DirectorSuite365 subscription if this comparison chart is accurate.

The good news is that DS365 is on sale though midnight so you may want to sign up now and use the 30-day money-back guarantee if you're not happy with it. You'll also get rid of all the limitations of the trial version so you'll have a much more realistic experience.
babybluebird [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There is a plug-in called BorisFX BCC Beauty Studio which is custom-made for touching up faces. It's worked great when I needed to use it, although it only seems to be available with the full DirectorSuite365 subscription if this comparison chart is accurate.

The good news is that DS365 is on sale though midnight so you may want to sign up now and use the 30-day money-back guarantee if you're not happy with it. You'll also get rid of all the limitations of the trial version so you'll have a much more realistic experience.

Thank you for your helpful response! Is the Beauty Studio plug-in fairly simple to use? I'd ideally like a one-click application in order to produce my desired effects.

I've seen references online to a NewBlue Essentials plug-in . . . is anyone familiar with this? It looks like Version IV can do the skin smoothing that I'm wanting, but are any of the later versions better for that function? Or would I be better overall to go with the Beauty Studio mentioned above?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In my experience, some one-click or one-adjustment tools can be hard to coax to get the right amount of changes from, but the NBFX Skin Touch-up tool seems fairly easy to adjust. The Boris FX tool is much more nuanced and has many more controls, but that may work against it for what you're looking for.

Here are the controls of both:

That tool is in the NBFX Video Essentials IV pack (not version 4) but I don't see that listed in any of the current PD offerings. It used to be included in many previous versions but it's still available for sale from NewBlue.
babybluebird [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wonderful! You have been extremely helpful. I greatly appreciate it! smile
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My question is that I would like to have the ability to smooth skin/remove wrinkles in my videos. I couldn't find a way to do this in the Essential version . . . is this something that can automatically be done in a paid version of PowerDirector 19 or 365? If not, what is the best plug-in to use in order to perform this function?

Thank you for any help you can provide to this PD newbie!

I have posted a before/after 4k comparison result video on using the NB IV/Skin Touch Up fx in response to a question about it posted on the FB PD Users forum. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCqwE6ulqjg .
babybluebird [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have posted a before/after 4k comparison result video on using the NB IV/Skin Touch Up fx in response to a question about it posted on the FB PD Users forum. Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCqwE6ulqjg .

WOW--this definitely shows the capabilities of the NB IV program! Thanks for posting. I went ahead and purchased the program, and have been very happy with its performance so far.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote WOW--this definitely shows the capabilities of the NB IV program! Thanks for posting. I went ahead and purchased the program, and have been very happy with its performance so far.

Hope you purchased the DS365 in time while it was on sale.

The BCC Beauty Studio plugin is tested in this latest comparison before/after 4k video. The results can be more powerful than in using the NB IV/Skin Touch Up fx posted last week. This is the plugin in the DirectorSuite mentioned by optodata. This is a newer plugin that works with hardware encoding so rendering is much faster. See the result here: https://youtu.be/nZV6YakOgsg .