Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't get the right aspect ratio
Calhoun [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 03, 2018 17:29 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all:
I've imported a couple of .vob files into PD 19 and can't get the aspect ratio right. Have tried all the choices up in the menu but the video still comes up the PD monitor all out of size.
I even went so far as to change the file format from VOB to mp4 but the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for replies
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:
I've imported a couple of .vob files into PD 19 and can't get the aspect ratio right. Have tried all the choices up in the menu but the video still comes up the PD monitor all out of size.
I even went so far as to change the file format from VOB to mp4 but the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for replies

You don't mention what the aspect ratio is and what PD is doing. You might try to set project aspect ratio to what it should be, drop clip in timeline, right click on clip and use the "Set Clip Attributes" > "Set Aspect Ratio..." to define what you think the clip is.

Jeff
Calhoun [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 03, 2018 17:29 Messages: 62 Offline
[Post New]

You don't mention what the aspect ratio is and what PD is doing. You might try to set project aspect ratio to what it should be, drop clip in timeline, right click on clip and use the "Set Clip Attributes" > "Set Aspect Ratio..." to define what you think the clip is.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.
I may not have phrased the question the right way. Let me do it again and keep it simple.
When the vido is on the Timeline and in the PD monitor, it comes up stretched out. As mentioned, I've tried all the aspect ratios in the program and while they do change the aspect ratio, none of them render the video the right size. The video in the monitor is always too large. Maybe all I need to do is down size it, but I don't know how. Is there some way to "free form" re-size?

I hope this clarifies. I'm not an old hand at PD, but I have done a bunch of videos all with good results, but have never had this problem before.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

Thanks for the reply.
I may not have phrased the question the right way. Let me do it again and keep it simple.
When the vido is on the Timeline and in the PD monitor, it comes up stretched out. As mentioned, I've tried all the aspect ratios in the program and while they do change the aspect ratio, none of them render the video the right size. The video in the monitor is always too large. Maybe all I need to do is down size it, but I don't know how. Is there some way to "free form" re-size?

I hope this clarifies. I'm not an old hand at PD, but I have done a bunch of videos all with good results, but have never had this problem before.
VOB files are from DVD videos and are usually 4:3 ratio, some are 16:9. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Correct, Carl. It is also possible that the imported vob 4:3 clip was stretched previously to 16:9 or with something like clpv was used on the clip to give oblong sides. The OP did not follow up. PiP Designer tool with maintain aspect ratio unchecked would give the freedom to do whatever is necessary.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2021 11:50