Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing sound
boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all. It's been quite a while since I was last here in the forums. Not much happebuibg with me and videos. Not too sure if I should even get into this subject because it's nothing critical to what I'm trying to accomplish, which is combine various short video clips of our trips to S.E. Asia into a short video. I'm using 18 MP4 clips.
Pertinent info: I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 360Ghz, 10mb memory, 1tb hdd, Power Director 16 ver 16.0.3424.0. I haven't upgraded because I rarely do any more video stuff other than download YT music videos for the wife (she's Lao), so upgrading just wouldn't be cost effective for me. Now, to my problem.
If open my Video folder and click on any/all of the 18 clips, they play normally, using Media Player Classic.
The problem is when I import them to PD and put them on the timeline. All show audio there (see 1st atch). The first 10 play normally. When the 11th one starts, I stops immediately and reverts to Start and the error shown in atchs 2 and 3 comes up.
Searched Forums for something about this but didn't see anything I felt was the same. So, I'm kinda curious why only 1/2 of the ideos play and the rest play w/out audio.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.
[Thumb - audio2.JPG]
 Filename
audio2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Timeline
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - audio problem.JPG]
 Filename
audio problem.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Error
 Filesize
43 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
sound.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
521 bytes
 Downloaded:
124 time(s)
Jack
PD 14.0.2302.0 HP h8-1280t, Intel Core i7-3820, CPU 3.60Hzm 64-bit, 10GB mem, 1 TB hard drive
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
How short is that 3rd clip in the Audio2 screenshot? PD may not work with raw clips that are shorter than 2 seconds. If the raw clip is actually longer and you've simply trimmed the clip on the timeline, what happens if you change the order of the clips? Does the error track with one specific clip or is it always at the 11th position?

If you need more assistance it would help to see the DxDiag results as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide. You may also want to share one of the clips here. See this FAQ for more details.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 30. 2021 15:14

boongsong [Avatar]
Contributor Location: Arvin, CA Joined: May 18, 2010 14:48 Messages: 482 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How short is that 3rd clip in the Audio2 screenshot? PD may not work with raw clips that are shorter than 2 seconds. If the raw clip is actually longer and you've simply trimmed the clip on the timeline, what happens if you change the order of the clips? Does the error track with one specific clip or is it always at the 11th position?

If you need more assistance it would help to see the DxDiag results as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide. You may also want to share one of the clips here. See this FAQ for more details.

Thank you optodata for your response.
All clips are the originals that were imported from the camera to my Videos file, including the 3rd, with no modifications. The time of the 3rd clip is a tad over 13 sedonds (see atch) and plays normal. The loss of audio starts on the 12th clip.
As for sharing a clip, which one would you prefer? The entire video is approx. 38 1/2 minutes.
[Thumb - 4th clip.JPG]
 Filename
4th clip.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
4th clip
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
116 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 30. 2021 15:47

boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you optodata for your response.
All clips are the originals that were imported from the camera to my Videos file, including the 3rd, with no modifications. The time of the 3rd clip is a tad over 13 sedonds (see atch) and plays normal. The loss of audio starts on the 12th clip.
As for sharing a clip, which one would you prefer? The entire video is approx. 38 1/2 minutes.

Here's something interesting.
I just downloaded the free version of PD 19 and imported the same clips.
They all play normally. Hmmmm.
What you think about that?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the new info. It looks like your system is about 9 years old and you have the final AMD GPU driver installed from 2015. That's probably as up-to-date as you're going to get.

It doesn't matter which clip you share. Since they're all from the same camera, just pick the shortest one.

I'm not sure yet why the clips seem to work fine in the PD19 trial, but there do seem to be problems with Windows (and with OneDrive in particular) as can be seen at the end of the DxDiag results.

This occurs on many systems and I don't know if any of the issues might be affecting PD16, but you may want to run the two commands shown in this post to see if there is any damage that might be repairable.

To be thorough, you may want to uninstall/disable OneDrive if you don't use it; otherwise you try the troubleshooting tips here. These issues might be resolved by the sfc and dism commands and they shouldn't have any impact on PD.
boongsong [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the new info. It looks like your system is about 9 years old and you have the final AMD GPU driver installed from 2015. That's probably as up-to-date as you're going to get.

It doesn't matter which clip you share. Since they're all from the same camera, just pick the shortest one.

I'm not sure yet why the clips seem to work fine in the PD19 trial, but there do seem to be problems with Windows (and with OneDrive in particular) as can be seen at the end of the DxDiag results.

This occurs on many systems and I don't know if any of the issues might be affecting PD16, but you may want to run the two commands shown in this post to see if there is any damage that might be repairable.

To be thorough, you may want to uninstall/disable OneDrive if you don't use it; otherwise you try the troubleshooting tips here. These issues might be resolved by the sfc and dism commands and they shouldn't have any impact on PD.

Thanks again for your help
I'll go through your suggestions and see what I come up with. I guess I'll uninstall/reinstall One Drive to see if that will make a difference. I'd do away with it but I think I remember one of my clouds (Apple or Google) doing away with the storage and recommends moving stuff to One Drive. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the 1st time.
As for the clips, I guess I'll use the trial PD 19 or just forget those clips. Nothing important.
Yep. Computer is old. It's been one heck of a computer for me. Never failed me and I purchased it used on EBay. That in itself is amazing that it still works. Been thinking about a new one but an equivalent will be on the "expensive (for me)" side, considering what's inside.
Any way, thanks very much for your interest and help. Continue having a great/safe Memorial Day.