Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Date for importing photos
[Post New]
I'm using Photodirector 8. When I imported photos previously the date I took the photo was included in the import. I've checked the EXIF and that does still show the actual capture date. After returning from a short break (17 to 20 May) I imported my photos (20 May). However when I open them in PD8 now these files ignore the EXIF info and all read the date I've transferred them (ie 20 May). Just wondered if anyone can suggest how I might remedy this as I use the date as part of my file data and its a pain having to alter the date especially when the photos are taken over a number of days. Many thanks. Paul
[Post New]
Hello Paul,

I have some difficulty testing this right now. The PC I have PhD8 installed on recently had some issues that required reinstallation of CL software. Now, when I attempt to open PhD8, I get an alert telling me it can't be activated because "the product key I entered has been used too many times".

Are there other members using PhD8 that could test Paul's issue? smile

That temporary issue aside, every version from PhD9 to PhD12 displays the Capture Date & Time correctly (i.e. same as EXIF data).

I'm not sure whether it would make any difference but please ensure you have the most recent 3812 patch for PhD8 installed.

Agreed, manually & singly changing each date would be unnecessarily tedious.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I only have PhD6, 7 and 365 (v12) installed so I can't test PhD8 either, but after checking/updating to the final version maybe you can check to make sure you've got the correct date type selected.

Here's a screenshot of 5 newly imported images from my Pixel 5 phone and they all show the correct Capture Date:

Maybe yours somehow changed to Modified Date?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2021 19:35

[Post New]
Hi everyone and many thanks for your contributions.

PIX. Sadly I don't have an answer for your PhD8 problem. I have changed my computer once and the new one accepted my product key without a problem.

optodata. It was only the photos from my camera(s) that were affected. Like yours my phone pics worked ok.

thetrueindians.

After posting my question I went back to processing my photos. I then went into Photo Export as normal. Before saving my pic I decided to check settings in there. In the section Naming and under Format I clicked each option to see what they did.

Under the Name - Date I saw that the example included both dates (date taken and date uploaded to computer). Makes life much easier as all I have to do is delete the date I don't want.

Hope that helps others.

I'm a silver surfer and recently contacted the Fitbit Community. I have to say the Cyberlink Community is far superior which is a credit to all you users out there.

Best wishes and stay safe everyone.

Paul (aka papa d1)
[Post New]
Hello again Paul,

Thank you for your positive feedback about our forum

With help from my friends at CL, I've resolved my PhD8 activation issue.

Here, as with other versions of PhD8, the capture date displayed under the Metadata tab is accurate. i.e. it's the same as the capture date shown in EXIF tool, Windows Properties, Lightroom & various other apps.

Unfortunately, that does not explain (or give any clues about) what might be happening with your PhD8.

Could you please download this photo & import it into PhD8. Capture date should display as 2019/05/18. In Windows Properties it's listed as "Date Taken".

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 23. 2021 21:58

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote I only have PhD6, 7 and 365 (v12) installed so I can't test PhD8 either, but after checking/updating to the final version maybe you can check to make sure you've got the correct date type selected.

Here's a screenshot of 5 newly imported images from my Pixel 5 phone and they all show the correct Capture Date:

Maybe yours somehow changed to Modified Date?

Thanks for this. The list as above and the EXIF display the correct date. When I import the pics the folder and photo show the date I transferred them to my computer. For example a photo taken on 20210518 is correct in the EXIF and in the listing you recommended to check. However when imported the pic has the date it was downloaded to the computer (i.e 20210520). Thankfully I have found a workaround..
[Post New]
Quote Hello again Paul,

Here, as with other versions of PhD8, the capture date displayed under the Metadata tab is accurate. i.e. it's the same as the capture date shown in EXIF tool, Windows Properties, Lightroom & various other apps.

Unfortunately, that does not explain (or give any clues about) what might be happening with your PhD8.

Could you please download this photo & import it into PhD8. Capture date should display as 2019/05/18. In Windows Properties it's listed as "Date Taken".

PIX

Hi Pix.

Again many thanks for this.

The photo you provided does indeed work as mine did previously (ie it imports/displays them in a folder and with a file name displaying the capture date). I hope my limited knowledge/ability hasn't confused matters. However just to re-iterate my latest downloads from my camera when I import them in to PD8 appear in a folder with the date I transferred them from my camera and part of the file name is also the date of transfer not the capture date. EXIF does shows the correct capture date. Photos taken by myself and my wife on our phones correctly display the date captured. It is only my latest download from my Nikon camera that has thrown up this situation

I have managed a workaround for now so I can get on with the ones I've taken during a short break we took last week.

In the meantime I'm checking my camera and Nikon Transfer settings in case I've changed something in them. I'll let you know if I solve it as it may help others if I do.

Best wishes
Paul
[Post New]
Oddly, thetrueindians recently post exactly the same message punctuated in the same way.

Quote: I m also facing the same, looking for solutions

If you genuinely need assistance, please ask a genuine question.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 25. 2021 05:08

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello again Paul,

PIX

Hi PIX

Apologies it's me again. Took pics yesterday and downloaded them from my camera today. These appear in the same format (ie the folder and file name use todays date - 20210525 - even though the EXIF has the correct capture date - 20210524). I've taken screenshots in case this might help but I don't know how to upload them to this post. Copy and paste doesn't appear to work and the insert image requests a URL? Sorry to be a pain but this old head is definitely having problems with this technology! Any help greatly appreciated.

Paul
[Post New]
Hello again Paul,

Screenshots will certainly help unlock the riddle.

It's looking more & more like something related to your Nikon camera & its interaction with PhD8. What is your camera model? Could you possibly share a photo from your Nikon xxxxx for testing?

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello again Paul,

Screenshots will certainly help unlock the riddle.

It's looking more & more like something related to your Nikon camera & its interaction with PhD8. What is your camera model? Could you possibly share a photo from your Nikon xxxxx for testing?

PIX
Thanks PIX. I was thinking the same until I decided to have another look. PD8 help again pointed me to Edit - Preferences which it did before. I went back in there first. I have to admit I've no idea what I've done but it's now naming the file with the correct date. I'm sure it used to name the folder with the date taken as well but that hasn't changed (date is still date uploaded to computer) however thats not an issue.

Can I just personally thank you for your patience, help and advice which is greatly appreciated. Fingers crossed I've got there in the end and I've learnt somethings along the way. If my short term memory loss recovers and I can remember what I did I'll let you know in case someone else has the same issue.

Best wishes and thank you again.

Paul