Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All Voice is Echoing/Reverbed. Can I Remove the Effect?
Falkyron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2021 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Just recently I've made a recording with a guest online which cannot be reproduced. Unfortunately, the software used seems to have double-dipped on recording, creating a horrible echo for not only myself but for the online participants.

I've attached a sample file.

I currently have AudioDirector 7. Is there a way to resolve this effect?
 Filename
Example.wav
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
170 time(s)
[Post New]
Hello Falkyron,

Welcome to the AudioDirector forum laughing

Let me qualify this reponse by admitting that I am not any kind of audio editing expert. Other members here have far more experience & knowledge in this area.

There are ways to resolve the echo/reverb issue using AudioDirector, but that may require the import of VST plugins. There are dedicated "Deverb" type plugins that are compatible with ADR.

One example is this one from Accusonus. Another is De-Verb Plus from SPL. Unfortunately, both these options require some $$$ to be invested. I have not come across a free De-Verb VST, but my search has not been exhaustive.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for those links, PIX.

I was playing around with a highly regarded dereverb VST but ran across a serious problem in AD6 and then I stumbled upon the new AI-powered DeReverb tool in AD365!

I'm not sure if it's also in the stand-alone V11 version, but it makes a noticeable difference - especially after running the example clip through 4 passes.

I've attached the results of the 1st and 4th passes for comparison.
 Filename
Example DeReverb.wav
[Disk]
 Description
1st pass result
 Filesize
5109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
164 time(s)
 Filename
Example DeReverb 4th pass.wav
[Disk]
 Description
4th pass result
 Filesize
5109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
170 time(s)
[Post New]
Oh my gosh, optodata! I think I've had too many late nights.

I should have checked more thoroughly in the Restore module. ADR11 (Lifetime License) also has the ReReverb function, which does a very decent job.

My apologies to Falkyron for my lack of thoroughness embarassed & thank you to optodata laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Falkyron [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 01, 2021 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for those links, PIX.

I was playing around with a highly regarded dereverb VST but ran across a serious problem in AD6 and then I stumbled upon the new AI-powered DeReverb tool in AD365!

I'm not sure if it's also in the stand-alone V11 version, but it makes a noticeable difference - especially after running the example clip through 4 passes.

I've attached the results of the 1st and 4th passes for comparison.

I appreciate everybody's help, thank you thus far.
I've taken a listen to your files that have been run through the dereverb and it still has significant reverb. Listening on a high-end headset I can't even notice a difference. Am I missing something?

I haven't attained a lot of experience with this sort of thing, but it doesn't seem to have worked.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Am I missing something?

Unfortunately the reverb is still present, but I can hear a clear difference between your sample and the 4th pass version. It's most noticeable in the section around 17- 20 sec in and again with that same person towards the end. The reverb is somewhat softer and fades out quicker when compared to the original.

I'm using Surface Headphones (with active noise cancelling) but my hearing isn't as keen as it was when I was in my 20s.

Have you tried either of the VSTs PIX suggested? Those may be your best hope if upgrading to the AD newest version to get the AI DeReverb isn't going to work out.

If I have any luck resolving the issue with the VST I found I'll post back.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The price of AD11 is reduced to $97/130 and $60/80 to upgrade today. Consider buying it as a cheap way to remove reverb in speech settings. The demo for it is great here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3NhuvQu8c . At 4 second in the video, look at the settings applied and listen to the applied results. It’s a good demo. Don’t want to spend the money to upgrade if it is not good.

Believe that a vst not supported in AD may be supported in Audacity.