Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subscription vs. perpetual license/boxed or downloaded software
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Any opinions on the perpetual license vs. subscription? I generally don't like the subscription concept for software unless I have a need to keep it absolutely up to date, but I did see some features (such as Bokeh) in the subscription version that would be nice.

How long does it take for features like that to end up in the downloadable version of the software? And would you typically only get those new features if you purchase a new version of the software later or are those kinds of features typically added to older versions of the software too?

Also, if you purchase the subscription and later decide just to use the download version, does that necessitate starting from scratch with the database (for instance losing past edits) or does the software preserve all of your existing work / edits to photos if you switch from subscription to download version or vice versa?

Thanks,

Tim
[Post New]
Hello Tim,

It's each to his/her own as far as purchasing the subscription version or the lifetime license version. I don't have a view one way or the other. With quite a few non-CyberLink applications I use, there is no choice. It's subscription or nothing! I've adjusted myself to that.

In your case, the best thing to do is start with this comparison chart, which lays out the basic features of each version side by side. You'll see there are quite a few features included in the subscription version that are not part of the lifetime license version. I wouldn't assume that many of them would ever be incorporated.

Re: Bokeh Effect. To some degree, that could be replicated using PhD12 (Lifetime License) using the right overlay graphics in the Edit (Layers) module. Not the animation effects.

Edit: (neglected to address your last question) If, at some point, you switched versions you'd be able to pick up where you left off. Projects and edits worked on in one version can be opened & continued in the other. PhD "preserves all of your existing work / edits to photos".

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2021 18:12

PIX YouTube channel
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Tim,

It's each to his/her own as far as purchasing the subscription version or the lifetime license version. I don't have a view one way or the other. With quite a few non-CyberLink applications I use, there is no choice. It's subscription or nothing! I've adjusted myself to that.

In your case, the best thing to do is start with this comparison chart, which lays out the basic features of each version side by side. You'll see there are quite a few features included in the subscription version that are not part of the lifetime license version. I wouldn't assume that many of them would ever be incorporated.

Re: Bokeh Effect. To some degree, that could be replicated using PhD12 (Lifetime License) using the right overlay graphics in the Edit (Layers) module. Not the animation effects.

Edit: (neglected to address your last question) If, at some point, you switched versions you'd be able to pick up where you left off. Projects and edits worked on in one version can be opened & continued in the other. PhD "preserves all of your existing work / edits to photos".

PIX

Thanks so much PIX. - this is good info. You are very generous with your time - and very helpful in your responses! :
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
I just uploaded a video to YouTube that explains some of the pros and cons of both the subscription and the lifetime license. Hope you find it helpful.

Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.