Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to use PhotoDirector "Projects"?
TimBikes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2017 02:22 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
As a PhotoDirector newbie, I was wondering how others are using the "Projects" tab? I have about 150k+ family photos, in maybe a 500 or more folders (typically named in a YYYY-MM - subject fashion) that I've accumulated over the past 20 years and want to make sure I get PhotoDirector set up initially in the most optimal way to manage those.

My guess is that separate Projects might be more for someone like a wedding photographer, where each "Project" represents a client.

In my case, does it make sense to add all of our family photos into a single Project? Are there pros/cons to doing a single vs. multiple projects in this case?

Lastly - any known issues with PhotoDirector managing a 150k+ image library?
[Post New]
Hello Tim,

With such a large collection of photos I can see how an application like Picasa would have suited your needs, particularly with its ability to scan/monitor your photo folders. PhD doesn't do that, as we've previously discussed.

My guess is that separate Projects might be more for someone like a wedding photographer, where each "Project" represents a client.

My use of PhD may not be typical, but I have separate projects that are based on events, travels etc. Typically, therefore, my projects are populated with no more than 3000 photos & mostly considerably less. So my use of projects would be akin to your wedding photographer example.

In my case, does it make sense to add all of our family photos into a single Project? Are there pros/cons to doing a single vs. multiple projects in this case?

In testing issues for other users, I have built projects of up to 50 000 photos in PhD, & have found that some processes can be slowed e.g. tagging, searching. That's my experience & I've occasionally seen similar things reported in this forum.

Without any experience of working with 150 000 photos in a single project, & based on the above, I'd be finding a way to divide your collection into smaller projects, but I'd love to to report back that my suggestion was completely wrong smile

PIX PIX YouTube channel