Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
video capture why is it black and white
Chas1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2021 08:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am transferring VHS videos to my pc using PowerDirector. However, I cannot obtain colour. The transfers are black and white.
I am using Capture - Capture from a tv signal, as this seems to be the only setting that works. What do I need to do to obtain a colour digitisation?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Does your tape match the region/VCR you are in? PAL? NTSC? SECAM? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
What device are you digitizing with? What device or card is your VCR plugged into?
Chas1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Does your tape match the region/VCR you are in? PAL? NTSC? SECAM?

Yes, PAL. What I reported above is not strictly what happens. I do get colour, but only for about the first four seconds. There then seems to be a default which resets to monochrome. So if I want to choose clips from a home video, I am limited to 4 seconds of colour. For the next clip, I find if I toggle in settings between PAL B and PAL I, it will revert to colour, but again only for 4 seconds. I have succeeded in digitising two home VHS videos, but the digitisation is virtually all b/w.
Chas1970 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What device are you digitizing with? What device or card is your VCR plugged into?

I am using the Silvercrest USB video grabber connected to my pc via a scart adaptor (as supplied) and the S-video cable into the USB video grabber (+ white/red sound cables; as supplied)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This is starting to sound like a cap issue. Open your vcr and inspect it for leaking bulging swollen capacitors. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT