Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dropping Frames
Tara [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2009 05:26 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Im really hoping someone might be able to help me ive spent ages trying to find the problem. Everytime i record from vcr via composite connection i get thousands of dropped frames resulting in out of sync video and audio that freezes occasionally. I have all other programs closed when using powerdirector i have updated direct x, windows media player and all drivers required have been updated. Any ideas on how to fix this or why it might be happening? ive also tried uninstalling and re installing it. Any help at all is much appreciated!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
Hi Tara,

I'm afraid I can't help directly - I don't do capture - but it would be useful to post up your PD version, your system specs and your capture setup and settings so that folk have a better idea of what might be the issue.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Tara [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2009 05:26 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry i am new to all this hope this helps a bit further i have pd 8 im running windows vista as for capture setup its all default settings im trying to use mpeg 2 or avi it does the same thing for every setiing i change hope this helps a bit more
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
What kind of processor is in your computer and how are you connecting the VCR to your computer? If your CPU cannot keep up or your hard disk is busy you will have problems. I would capture in MPEG2 since the quality will not be that great anyways and AVI will produce files about 10x bigger for no quality improvement.

I use a KWORLD USB capture device and it works great. I almost never get a dropped frame. Others have posted similar questions in this forum and everyone who's gotten the KWORLD device has reported good results. I bought mine at CompUSA, but you can also get it at newegg for less than $40.00

Here's a link to the one I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112&cm_re=kworld-_-15-100-112-_-Product

Good luck

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 25. 2009 07:39

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2009 09:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I tried capturing VHS a few years ago (not with PD but anyway).. There might be several reasons for dropping frames. Some ideas might be:
* Your computer isn't fast enough.
* Are you encoding the capture in realtime using a codec that's too much for your computer to handle?
* You've got a bad source. An old VHS-tape could prove difficult to capture depending on the quality of the hardware of your capture-device.

My hint is, for capturing VHS-stuff, is to use a DVD-recorder actually, and then transfer it to the computer. Some DVD-recorders (Pioneer comes to mind) have a TBC (time base corrector) that does wonders with old VHS-recordings. It saved me alot of trouble anyway.