Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mic only recording mono?
dubie7006 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2021 18:40 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of PC gaming and therefore screen recording/streaming, so my apologies in advance if this is a simple/dumb question with an easy fix.

I've played around with screen recordings over the past week and while I've figured out the whole system/mic mix, I'm having one other issue - Screen Recorder is only recording mono (left channel) audio from my microphone.

(a) Is that standard and I just don't know it?
(b) I've gone through the audio preferences/settings several times and can't find anything about mono/stereo.
(c) I'm positive it isn't a microphone issue, as I've recorded to other programs and gotten full stereo.

Mono/LC is fine, I guess, but I'd really like to get it to full stereo for quality's sake.

Thanks in advance!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like there might be an issue with your specific mic, the port it's plugged into, or the number of contacts on the male connector.

I just made a test recording using Screen Recorder 4 and a bluetooth headset. When I open the clip in PD's Audio Editor, I see a waveform on both channels:

dubie7006 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It sounds like there might be an issue with your specific mic, the port it's plugged into, or the number of contacts on the male connector.

I just made a test recording using Screen Recorder 4 and a bluetooth headset. When I open the clip in PD's Audio Editor, I see a waveform on both channels:

A couple things:

1. What is the Audio Editor? I can't seem to find anything like that but again I'm really new to this.

2. I've just tested my mic using multiple other programs/platforms and gotten stereo audio on it on all of them. I'm really confused how there could be an issue with the contacts SPECIFICALLY for Screen Recorder.

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What is the Audio Editor? I can't seem to find anything like that but again I'm really new to this.

That's a tool in the main PowerDirector video editor. PD comes with bundled with a version of Screen Recorder and I simply used a screenshot from that to verify that the recording had content on each channel.

Quote I've just tested my mic using multiple other programs/platforms and gotten stereo audio on it on all of them. I'm really confused how there could be an issue with the contacts SPECIFICALLY for Screen Recorder.

If all your other programs record the same mic in stereo, then it's not a contact issue. That's just something that I've experienced where one audio channel can be cut off.

So far we haven't really made any progress in this process of elimination. There aren't any setting in SR for mono/stereo and it should record whatever audio that Windows is sending it. On my system things work as expected but they don't on yours.

Could you make a quick screen recording and share it here? As long as the file size is <100MB, you can use the Attachments button below the forum's text box.

Just for fun, tell us the exact version number of SR and run the DxDiag test as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide. Make sure your mic is connected before running the test. It's possible that something will show up in there.
dubie7006 [Avatar]
[Post New]

That's a tool in the main PowerDirector video editor. PD comes with bundled with a version of Screen Recorder and I simply used a screenshot from that to verify that the recording had content on each channel.

If all your other programs record the same mic in stereo, then it's not a contact issue. That's just something that I've experienced where one audio channel can be cut off.

So far we haven't really made any progress in this process of elimination. There aren't any setting in SR for mono/stereo and it should record whatever audio that Windows is sending it. On my system things work as expected but they don't on yours.

Could you make a quick screen recording and share it here? As long as the file size is <100MB, you can use the Attachments button below the forum's text box.

Just for fun, tell us the exact version number of SR and run the DxDiag test as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide. Make sure your mic is connected before running the test. It's possible that something will show up in there.

Appreciate the help. System vitals are here:
Screen Recorder: 4.2.6.13448
Version Type: SE
SR number: VDE210222-03

I've attached the DxDiag and a short recording. Thanks!

*edit* I found the audio director program and confirmed it's only coming through mono. Nothing on the bottom channel as you see it in the program.
 Filename
20210425160209.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
55529 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag 42521.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
183 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2021 19:08

optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for all the details. I can think of a few things to try.

Open up Device Manager and find your mic. Select it and click Uninstall and you should then see a confirmation window like this (I doin't have a mic on my desktop so I'm using the Realtek Audio speaker driver as an example):

Check the option to delete the driver software and then click Uninstall.

You might be prompted to restart and you should do that if the message appears. Otherwise, disconnect the mic then plug it in again and you should see some indication that it was installed, hopefully along with newer software. You can double-click on it in Device Manager and verify the driver version.

Onmy system I have 6.0.9075 from Dec 2020 installed while yours is 6.0.9013.1 from Aug 2020. There's an option to directly update the driver but in your case I think an uninstall/new install might do more good.

Another thing I've noticed is that there are a bunch of crashes of things like AssettoCorsa and FlightSimulator. There are several Windows system crashes listed as well, and it might help to run the two commands in this post to see if they can find and repair any problems with how Windows is installed/configured.

Let us know if these suggestions make any difference.
dubie7006 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for all the details. I can think of a few things to try.

Open up Device Manager and find your mic. Select it and click Uninstall and you should then see a confirmation window like this (I doin't have a mic on my desktop so I'm using the Realtek Audio speaker driver as an example):

Check the option to delete the driver software and then click Uninstall.

You might be prompted to restart and you should do that if the message appears. Otherwise, disconnect the mic then plug it in again and you should see some indication that it was installed, hopefully along with newer software. You can double-click on it in Device Manager and verify the driver version.

Onmy system I have 6.0.9075 from Dec 2020 installed while yours is 6.0.9013.1 from Aug 2020. There's an option to directly update the driver but in your case I think an uninstall/new install might do more good.

Another thing I've noticed is that there are a bunch of crashes of things like AssettoCorsa and FlightSimulator. There are several Windows system crashes listed as well, and it might help to run the two commands in this post to see if they can find and repair any problems with how Windows is installed/configured.

Let us know if these suggestions make any difference.

Appreciate the suggestions, but I seem to have found a fix (or, at the very least, a workaround). I was using front I/O and simply tried moving over to the rear I/O. That gave me full stereo audio on my recordings. I've checked my connections to my mobo and haven't found any disconnected/loose wires, so I'm not sure why one slot is working better than the other, but using rear I/O has solved the problem.

Sometimes an easy fix is right in front of you, I guess.