Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when docked to the Docking stations
[Post New]
I have a MS Surface lapton connected to a docking station; with an external Sound system and monitor and a HUB. Until recently this configuration worked just fine but something has changed.

Now when I load a MOV file and hit Play, it plays normally for about a minute, then the sound drops out, while the video continues to run. The sound actually goes out on my system as well, then cuts back in, then cuts in and out, also the mouse response is not quick. It appears to be buffering!

When I unplug the docking station and run PD directly on the laptop this doesn't happen, clearly, this is a docking station issue, but the docking stating has no moving parts!

Do docking stations wear out?

Should I just spring for a new one, since it is just a solid block with female plug opening for the hardware? Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Justed chatted with a MS store sales associate. This is a suggested link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-dock-2/8qd908364sg2?activetab=pivot:techspecstab . For the price I would prefer to to spend it on a desktop pc. Don’t see any need for it just to edit video. Any electronic equipment could go bad. Check your warranty and chat with their technical support online for free with your questions.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are all kinds of software interactions that need to happen to transition from docked to undocked. Before assuming there's a hardware failure I'd reboot once when docked and again when undocked and see if that clears up the issue.

You should also search online paying particular attention to MS forums as that's where these kinds of issues get the most attention and often semi-official steps to resolve them.

You should also double check the View optional updates link on the Windows Update screen as that's where docking-related updates are often located.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2021 13:00

[Post New]
Quote Justed chatted with a MS store sales associate. This is a suggested link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-dock-2/8qd908364sg2?activetab=pivot:techspecstab . For the price I would prefer to to spend it on a desktop pc. Don’t see any need for it just to edit video. Any electronic equipment could go bad. Check your warranty and chat with their technical support online for free with your questions.

Great, thanks for the link.

I have a desktop, but it's no as powerful as my Surface, which I have used, for years, to edit in Lr, Ps, Pr, and now with Cyberlinks PD; because the subscription price of Pr had gotten too expensive. I've never had a problem, until now.

The docking station is way cheaper than a new desktop so I think I will just replace the old Docking station because I don't see how the old one can be repaired. But I'll do a little more checking to see if there is a repair option. Michael
Lr, Ps, PD365, Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430EX II
[Post New]
Quote There are all kinds of software interactions that need to happen to transition from docked to undocked. Before assuming there's a hardware failure I'd reboot once when docked and again when undocked and see if that clears up the issue.

You should also search online paying particular attention to MS forums as that's where these kinds of issues get the most attention and often semi-official steps to resolve them.

You should also double check the View optional updates link on the Windows Update screen as that's where docking-related updates are often located.

Thanks, I did find a number of items that I have on that "optional" list and ticked them, but not the docking station.

I'll check the Surface forum, and with MS to see if there is a fix for my docking station, but if there is a upgreaded model I will just purchase that. Mine is 5 or 6 years old

I realize now that this is not specific to PD. I just not noticed that whenever I unplug the docking station MS shuts down and has to be rebooted. That shouldn't be happening.