Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Differences between PowerDVD20 and 21?
C_Diddy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 11:13 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
There doesn't seem to be a comparison anywhere and the features sound the same on the surface. What are the advantages of upgrading to PowerDVD 21 for someone who currently owns PowerDVD 20?

Has anything changed (or are there any planned changes) with UHD BluRay playback under Windows 10? New Intel chips and all AMD chips don't support SGX. That only leaves a small set of devices that can play UHD disks legitimately. Is that still the case with PowerDVD 21?
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There doesn't seem to be a comparison anywhere and the features sound the same on the surface. What are the advantages of upgrading to PowerDVD 21 for someone who currently owns PowerDVD 20?

Has anything changed (or are there any planned changes) with UHD BluRay playback under Windows 10? New Intel chips and all AMD chips don't support SGX. That only leaves a small set of devices that can play UHD disks legitimately. Is that still the case with PowerDVD 21?

It is very clear that Hollywood studios don't want users to play their discs on Windows PC since the 4k blu-ray playback solution first released on PC as it was when the cracking started.

I think Cyberlink is just a small PC software player maker, who has to follow the "Blu-ray disc association"s rule that restricts the disc playback from being played on non-Intel SGX PCs, and not for new Intel PCs any more.

To be honest, if you really want to do something about this concern, you should contact "Blu-ray disc association" as a customer who purchased 4k blu-ray discs, and discuss this compatibiltiy fact with them.

I'm afraid It is just not helpful to discuss the concern here in cyberlink user forum.

It is a game that operated by those giant companies in the movie industry.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There doesn't seem to be a comparison anywhere and the features sound the same on the surface. What are the advantages of upgrading to PowerDVD 21 for someone who currently owns PowerDVD 20?

I got the update because I'm a 365 subscriber. So far it looks like most of the new features are in the sharing features, which are signifcantly improved. I like it and am using it all the time for the music and videosI have on my computer.

If you look at the system requirements for the new version, it hasn't changed for UHD playback. As the other user said, it isn't Powerdvd deciding this, it is the Blu-ray Association. So we'll have to wait and see what they (BDA) decide on the DRM for these discs if Intel is abandoning SGX.

Dave

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2021 02:22

metzmma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2007 17:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]

They have completely eliminated DLNA support. I consider that a downgrade. YMMV

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2021 20:10

Edrob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2021 21:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

They have completely eliminated DLNA support. I consider that a downgrade. YMMV

Well that answered my reason for checking this forum. I ran the most recient update to V20 and lost DLNA. Now I know why. Unfortunatly all of my movies are on DLNA servers so back to V19 until Cyberlink rethinks the value of DLNA support.
metzmma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2007 17:25 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]

Well that answered my reason for checking this forum. I ran the most recient update to V20 and lost DLNA. Now I know why. Unfortunatly all of my movies are on DLNA servers so back to V19 until Cyberlink rethinks the value of DLNA support.

Yep, you're right. They took it out of the latest build of V20. Here is their reason: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26139

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2021 16:09

joel96 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2021 12:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I think this page might have been added recently. It's not an explicit set of comparisons between 20 and 21, but it does look like the closest bit of marketing that advertises new features as we're going to get.
https://www.cyberlink.com/stat/edms/english/2021/Q2/PDVD21_Launch/ENU/us/index_ult.jsp?affid=2581_1472_672