Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Automatic capture stop
MSED [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 13, 2021 15:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I’m using Power Director 12 and a Diamond VC500 capture device connected to a VCR to digitize my VHS tapes. Most of the VHS tapes do not use the full amount of physical tape (for example I may have a 60-minute tape with only 20 minutes of recording). My question is how can I have the Power Director capturing process automatically stop when the VHS tape reaches the end of the recording rather than keep capturing to the end of the physical tape or until I manually stop the capture ? Is the DV Parameters-DV Auto Stop setting(s) used to do this and, if so, how ? Is there any other way of doing this ?
Thanks, in advance, for your help.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Use your VCR to determine the time of capture.
Pop your tape in, set time on Vcr to zero, and fast forward till the counter stops. That is your timeline. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
MSED [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply, Barry.
I'm not sure I understand your reply.
I have many VHS tapes to digitize with each having different lengths of recordings on them so it would take a lot to time to use your suggested method if I understand it correctly.
Is there not a Power Director setting to automatically stop the capture if it encounters a section of 'blank' tape ? I had hoped the DV Parameters-DV Auto Stop setting(s) would do this.
Thanks
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
VHS capture requires babysitting.
Not only for time, but also to be sure the old tape in an old machine does not get destroyed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2021 05:52

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MSED [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote VHS capture requires babysitting.
Not only for time, but also to be sure the old tape in an old machine does not get destroyed.

So the bottom line is that there is no way to automatically stop the capture when it hits blank tape. Correct ?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote So the bottom line is that there is no way to automatically stop the capture when it hits blank tape. Correct ?
Correct.
You can, however, set capture time or size limit, but you'd need to know the length beforehand.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2021 12:06

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MSED [Avatar]
[Post New]
Correct.
You can, however, set capture time or size limit, but you'd need to know the length beforehand.

Thanks again for your replies on this, Barry.
It's disappointing that Power Director can't do this but so be it and on to the VHS babysitting.
Thanks again
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's disappointing that Power Director can't do this but so be it and on to the VHS babysitting.

This post may have the answer: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/37971.page .