Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transport Stream (.ts) Video Files
Blue Fortune [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2014 16:09 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've used PowerDirector for years, and currently have v19.

Why won't PowerDirector convert Transport Stream (.ts) video files?

Thank you in advance!
MusicLover [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2014 17:19 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've used PowerDirector for years, and currently have v19.

Why won't PowerDirector convert Transport Stream (.ts) video files?

Thank you in advance!

It does. As a matter of fact PD creates as many TS files as audio channels are in the TS file.
Blue Fortune [Avatar]
[Post New]

It does. As a matter of fact PD creates as many TS files as audio channels are in the TS file.

I have tried......but each time I load a .ts file, I get a message saying it's corrupt. Meanwhile I can play that file in any media player, such as VideoLan (VLC). How can I get it to work??? Please advise. Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I can think of a few reasons why you might be seeing that error, and we'll have to run through a few steps to figure out what's going on.

The first is to download and try to import some of these sample .ts clips. I chose two at random (sample_1280x720_surfing_with_audio and sample_3840x2160) and they both imported into PD365 perfectly.

If those work on your system too, then the issue probably has something to do with your particular clips.

If you have one that's smaller than 100MB you can use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it directly here. If your clip is larger than that, upload it to Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here.

See this FAQ for more details.
MusicLover [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can think of a few reasons why you might be seeing that error, and we'll have to run through a few steps to figure out what's going on.

The first is to download and try to import some of these sample .ts clips. I chose two at random (sample_1280x720_surfing_with_audio and sample_3840x2160) and they both imported into PD365 perfectly.

If those work on your system too, then the issue probably has something to do with your particular clips.

If you have one that's smaller than 100MB you can use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload it directly here. If your clip is larger than that, upload it to Google Drive or OneDrive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here.

I guess you are trying to import an FTA (Free to Air) program. Sometimes the reception is not perfect and the video file gets some garbage.

I would cut a small portion of the file (for example using VLC record function, or ffmpeg) and try that small file in PowerDirector.
Blue Fortune [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can think of a few reasons why you might be seeing that error, and we'll have to run through a few steps to figure out what's going on.

Thanks Opto.....I downloaded a 32MB file and it loaded into PowerDirector with no issues. Maybe that's the answer? These files that I'm trying to edit, and convert to a different format are nothing more than hour-long television programs from PBS, NOVA in particular, science show about the solar system, etc., that I recorded directly to a hard drive from my ChannelMaster 7500 OTA DVR. The files are unbelievably huge considering it's just an hour-long program, and I have to use a LINUX reader to get them from that external HD to my computer.

The good news is that I will now use a separate program to convert these large .ts files to H264 format, then edit them in PowerDirector. I don't mind having to do this "work around", but then again, they are rather huge files. Like I said, I truly appreciate the help, and I prefer PowerDirector over the other 3 video editing software that I own.

Thank You!
Blue Fortune [Avatar]
[Post New]

I guess you are trying to import an FTA (Free to Air) program. Sometimes the reception is not perfect and the video file gets some garbage.

I would cut a small portion of the file (for example using VLC record function, or ffmpeg) and try that small file in PowerDirector.

Thanks......see my reply to OptoData up above!
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]

What I get when inserting these files into the timeline, is an error message telling me that the TS file is broken or contains an error. The file does not load. It hints to uncheck the shadow file option in preferences. When I do so, the files insert fine in the timeline....
When I repeat the process, first switching the shadow tag ON again, I sometimes get the error message but the file still load Okay into the timeline. CL should have a look at these, because the program behavior is not consistent. Also when the file load correctly into the timeline, the preview screen is empty, until you start to play...
I will repeat my suggestion to CL to add some error-number or code to the message, so that the reference to the message can be made once CL has added possible errors and error messages to the manual...
MusicLover [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks......see my reply to OptoData up above!

You wrote: "The files are unbelievably huge considering it's just an hour-long program, and I have to use a LINUX reader to get them from that external HD to my computer."

If you have to copy the files anyway, use ffmpeg (ffmpeg -i tsfileonunix.ts -c copy mp4fileforPDonmycomputer.mp4).
[Post New]
These files that I'm trying to edit, and convert to a different format are nothing more than hour-long television programs from PBS, NOVA in particular, science show about the solar system, etc., that I recorded directly to a hard drive from my ChannelMaster 7500 OTA DVR. The files are unbelievably huge considering it's just an hour-long program, and I have to use a LINUX reader to get them from that external HD to my computer.

Maybe they have some kind of encryption added on those files, so the files on the DVR cannot be copied.

Legally, I don't think it's allowed to mess with them anyway, but that's something else.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2021 13:05

MusicLover [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe they have some kind of encryption added on those files, so the files on the DVR cannot be copied.

Legally, I don't think it's allowed to mess with them anyway, but that's something else.

Copyright is another, not Powerdirector related technical question. FTA (Free to Air) broadcasting is not encrypted. Even if the content is copyrighted, you are allowed to edit it for your own usage.

I have a feeling the OP wants to archive the videos for his very own archive.
[Post New]
Quote FTA (Free to Air) broadcasting is not encrypted. Even if the content is copyrighted, you are allowed to edit it for your own usage.

But maybe the recording on that DVR is encrypted for their own reasons.
I am using Windows Media Center as DVR and those files can be played only on that computer (can be streamed to XBOX or another Windows computer, but they need to be "read" in the original device). Even if they came from OTA.
There are programs that can "transfer" them in another format, but that's that.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 13. 2021 16:04