Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you add borders to pics in PhD 12?
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,
I would like to add a border to the outside of a picture that I can then place text in, but I can't seem to find a way to do this?
Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin R.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2021 15:17

Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
[Post New]
Hello Kevin,

You can do that in the Edit module.

1. Select Start an empty project

2. Size the canvas so it's bigger than the target photo (maybe 200px on each side?)

3. Select a black or white background

4. Add your target photo

5. Resize & reposition

6. Save

[Step 1 above]

[Step 2 above]

Screenshot attached showing resized photo on black background.

PIX
[Thumb - PhD_Photo with Border.jpg]
 Filename
PhD_Photo with Border.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
755 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
I neglected to mention, Kevin, that while you're in the Edit/Layers module you can also add & format your text laughing

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pix,
Thanks for the reply, I will try that now.
I have used Cyberlink stuff for a long time, and had to upgrade due to new comp specs, and these newer versions are nice, but have a huge learning curve.

Again, Thanks!
Kevin R

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2021 01:45

Kevin R.
[Post New]
Quote I neglected to mention, Kevin, that while you're in the Edit/Layers module you can also add & format your text laughing

PIX

Hi Pix,
I did as you suggested, and it worked.
However, when I attempted to try and add a new layer, the program froze, and I had to use task manager to close the program.
When I attempted to restart it, I received some super fast error message which I am unable to read or capture, and the program will not launch. The launching circle on the cyberlink logo in the screen shot just continuously spins.
I of course went immediately to see if my patch was the most current, d/l'd a newer version, installed, and am still getting the same failure to launch.
I thought about deleting the program and reistalling it but am worried they will think it's someone else trying to use it because I already submitted the product key when I first bought the pkg.(PD 19 & PhD 12 combo.)

Please advise!
Thanks,
Kevin R.
[Thumb - DT SS.jpg]
 Filename
DT SS.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
334 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I thought about deleting the program and reistalling it but am worried they will think it's someone else trying to use it because I already submitted the product key when I first bought the pkg.(PD 19 & PhD 12 combo.)

There shouldn't be a problem. As far as I can tell, the program is linked to a "machine fingerprint" so you won't get dinged for trying to install the app on another computer.

Thanks for the DxDiag results, too. The crashes at the end show that you do need to update PhD from 12.0.1924 to build 2512 but there are many other crashes that point to some problems with Windows itself. I suggest you first try the diagnostic tool at the HP website. Click on the Or, let HP detect your product button and see what their troubleshooter finds.

You can also/instead run the two commands exactly as described here. Hopefully some or all of these steps will get your system into better shape and will let the latest version of PhD start up and run.

If it still won't start, unzip the attached file with a blank new PhD project and required folders and double-click on the NewProject.phd file to launch the app with a clean project file.

You can then try reopening your last project file from the File menu to see if you can recover it.
 Filename
NewProject.7z
[Disk]
 Description
blank new project files
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
145 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2021 13:37

[Post New]
Hello Kevin R.

I'm glad you were able to get done what you needed to do, but I couldn't offer any better advice than that offered by optodata.

Resolving these system based issues can be painstaking & time-consuming, so beginning with the HP Diagnostic tool would be a good place to start.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kevin R.
[Post New]
Thank you!
I wound up removing the program and reinstalling and the problem went away.

Kevin R.

There shouldn't be a problem. As far as I can tell, the program is linked to a "machine fingerprint" so you won't get dinged for trying to install the app on another computer.

Thanks for the DxDiag results, too. The crashes at the end show that you do need to update PhD from 12.0.1924 to build 2512 but there are many other crashes that point to some problems with Windows itself. I suggest you first try the diagnostic tool at the HP website. Click on the Or, let HP detect your product button and see what their troubleshooter finds.

You can also/instead run the two commands exactly as described here. Hopefully some or all of these steps will get your system into better shape and will let the latest version of PhD start up and run.

If it still won't start, unzip the attached file with a blank new PhD project and required folders and double-click on the NewProject.phd file to launch the app with a clean project file.

You can then try reopening your last project file from the File menu to see if you can recover it.