Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shadow File is broken or contains an error
nmsueagle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2021 13:36 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I'm getting an error when importing 4k videos. I'm currently evaluating the trial version and likely going to purchase the lifetime license for PowerDirector 19 Ultimate but I'd like to make sure I can resolve this issue. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this issue is exclusive to the trial version. It did say something about needing the full version to import/export 4k video. If I try to export 4k videos it says I need the full version. If I try to import 4k videos it seems to work fine except that it cannot create the shadow files. Any idea if the trial version supports importing 4k files but does not support shadow files? If that isn't the issue, are there any recommendations for how to solve the issue? The files are created by a GoPro 7 and every file has the same issue, deleting the temporary files does not help.

Version: 19.3.2730.0 (64-bit)
SR number: VDE210311-01
[Thumb - ErrorMessage.GIF]
 Filename
ErrorMessage.GIF
[Disk]
 Description
Error Message
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
17 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
94 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
206 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
As was stated in the error messages, the trial version cannot be used with 4K videos. There is no such restriction in the full version, and I think the easiest way to get the full experience is to purchase the lifetime license for PD19 and use the 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't meet your needs.

Your system's i7-8700K is poewerful enough to work with 4K clips without needing shadow files, but you should update the nVidia driver for your GTX 1080 as the installed version is almost 2 years old.

I should add that it's very important to install the trial version before installing the full PD19 program.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2021 00:45

nmsueagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate the advice but the error message did not say anything about the trial version (this was not clear in my post, I apologize). The error message I'm getting is included in an attached screenshot and summarized in the title of the post, the error is "The shadow file on ..... is unavailable because it is broken or contains an error. Try deleting it in General preferences, and then try again". If the error simply said that the trial version didn't support 4k import then this would be very simple but it's a different error. Also, the trial version definitely does support 4k import, I can import 4K videos, edit them extensively, and export to lower resolution just fine. The fact that exporting 4k gives a clear descriptive error saying it's not supported in the Trial version makes me think the shadow file issue is something else.

Great advice on the graphics card drivers, I'll update those now.

Quote As was stated in the error messages, the trial version cannot be used with 4K videos. There is no such restriction in the full version, and I think the easiest way to get the full experience is to purchase the lifetime license for PD19 and use the 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't meet your needs.

Your system's i7-8700K is poewerful enough to work with 4K clips without needing shadow files, but you should update the nVidia driver for your GTX 1080 as the installed version is almost 2 years old.

I should add that it's very important to install the trial version before installing the full PD19 program.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I understand what you're saying, but I believe that the issue is almost certainly caused by the trial version based on the significant restrictions that are enforced as compared to the full version.

Remember that you should be able to disable shadow files completely and still work with 4K clips smoothly while editing, even in the trial version. Updating the video driver may bring additional stability and performance improvements, especially with the full version.
nmsueagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm having a few weird issues that I didn't have with smaller resolution files (mostly freezing at weird times for 20+ seconds and not showing a preview when zooming) but it's certainly possible the issue is due to it being the trial version and not due to the actual processing requirements of the larger resolution files. I updated the graphics drivers and it didn't help so I think I will go ahead and buy the full version and if I still have issues I'll research those issues specifically and use the 30-day guarantee if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice!

Quote I understand what you're saying, but I believe that the issue is almost certainly caused by the trial version based on the significant restrictions that are enforced as compared to the full version.

Remember that you should be able to disable shadow files completely and still work with 4K clips smoothly while editing, even in the trial version. Updating the video driver may bring additional stability and performance improvements, especially with the full version.
davidich123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2021 12:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yeah, that's a good point. I'm having a few weird issues that I didn't have with smaller resolution files (mostly freezing at weird times for 20+ seconds and not showing a preview when zooming) but it's certainly possible the issue is due to it being the trial version and not due to the actual processing requirements of the larger resolution files. I updated the graphics drivers and it didn't help so I think I will go ahead and buy the full version and if I still have issues I'll research those issues specifically and use the 30-day guarantee if it doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice!

Hello my friend. I have the same problem with the shadow file and I have no idea what to do. Can you tell me please how you solute it ? Is it because of trial version or smth else?
nmsueagle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello my friend. I have the same problem with the shadow file and I have no idea what to do. Can you tell me please how you solute it ? Is it because of trial version or smth else?

Yeah, going to the full version solved all of my issues. I think the answer is that the trial version doesn't support working with 4k files. They do tell you that in advance but if you try it anyway, you don't get always get helpful error messages, it just "sort of" works. Some things worked, some things (like exporting) give clear error messages about not being supported in the trial version, and other things didn't work but didn't give specific errors about the trial version. The full version has not had any issues at all and I've been very happy with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 08. 2021 16:50