Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Identify timeline clip in media content window
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a way to highlight a clip on the timeline and have it show me the clip in the "media content" window? I often need to duplicate the track by adding it again from media content window to another track.

I know how to do it the reverse way....I can right-click a video in "media content" window and select "Find in Timeline". I'm looking to do the reverse. Highlight a clip in timeline and find the source.

Am I missing something obvious?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
No. There used to be a completely useless right-click option on media library clips to "find item in library folder" which you'd obviously already done before you could right-click, but there's no timeline option to do that.

I would simply copy the timeline clip and paste it where you want it to go. Even if you've trimmed it and want to use a different section, you'll just need to drag the appropriate edge(s) or use the Trim tool. No need to hunt it down again.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a way to highlight a clip on the timeline and have it show me the clip in the "media content" window? I often need to duplicate the track by adding it again from media content window to another track.

I know how to do it the reverse way....I can right-click a video in "media content" window and select "Find in Timeline". I'm looking to do the reverse. Highlight a clip in timeline and find the source.

Am I missing something obvious?

Hi,
Here's a workaround - whether it's worth it or not.........??

Set up a hotkey for Workspace>Change Alias

On the timeline select the clip you need to identify in the Media Library
Use the hotkey
Use Ctrl-C to copy the already highlighted name
Select Cancel to get out of the Change Alias box
Use Ctrl-V to paste the copied name into the Library Search box
Result!

It's actually surprisingly quick when you get used to it! By no means ideal but....

I can see one time it won't work - when a clip alias does not appear in the Media Library, but otherwise it seems to be OK.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2021 15:21

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is there a way to highlight a clip on the timeline and have it show me the clip in the "media content" window? I often need to duplicate the track by adding it again from media content window to another track.

No need to do this. Just select the clip on the timline, hold down the D key and then drag the clip to a new location to duplicate it. This is mentioned near the bottom of https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/19/enu/01_01_02_whats_different.html

Ash