Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview Choppy after March Update. CPU/GPU % ?
BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Win10 Enterprise, NVIDIA Quadro P400 driver 461.92 (8GB), 46GB RAM, Intel Xeon Gold 6128 CPU @ 3.40Ghz (6 cores).

The only thing that has changed is the PD365 March updates.

Now when previewing a track on the timeline, if the track contains any fx it is very choppy (doesn't matter if it is a color fx or a CLUT) . Even if I reduce preview quality to normal or low, it's still incredibly choppy and consumes 100% CPU, GPU is 5%. On tracks with no fx, preview is great as usual and CPU % drops to 30%, GPU rises to 20%.

I understand previewing a track with FX is CPU intensive, but I'm really surprised it doesn't use the GPU. On tracks without fx, it is reversed (more GPU)

Do I have something configured incorrectly? I did not notice this behavior before the update. May not be related

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is a 4K clip. HEVC format 30fps. 2160x3840. This may just be the performance I can expect?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2021 11:30

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You could try enabling shadow files and wait until all the yellow icons on the media library clips turn green before giving editing another try.

There is no option or ability to run LUTs or Color Presets throught the GPU, and the best workflow is probably to apply the color changes to each clip one by one and then produce each to the final profile. That will "bake in" all the corrections, and you'll then be able to finish your project with normal clips and (hopefully) produce very quickly and with no re-encoding using SVRT.
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could try enabling shadow files and wait until all the yellow icons on the media library clips turn green before giving editing another try.

There is no option or ability to run LUTs or Color Presets throught the GPU, and the best workflow is probably to apply the color changes to each clip one by one and then produce each to the final profile. That will "bake in" all the corrections, and you'll then be able to finish your project with normal clips and (hopefully) produce very quickly and with no re-encoding using SVRT.

ah I forgot about shadow files! Yes those should help. Thanks so much for the info. I haven't used those for so long I forgot how they worked. I do see in the timeline it pops up with "rendering...." when it's looking at each clip, apparently.

thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ah I forgot about shadow files! Yes those should help. Thanks so much for the info. I haven't used those for so long I forgot how they worked. I do see in the timeline it pops up with "rendering...." when it's looking at each clip, apparently.

No you shouldn't be seeing any "rendering" nor a green bar with just shadow files. That's a different feature, that's "Render a preview of the timeline in Ultra HD preview quality.

That will slow you down for sure.

Jeff
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]

No you shouldn't be seeing any "rendering" nor a green bar with just shadow files. That's a different feature, that's "Render a preview of the timeline in Ultra HD preview quality.

Jeff

Oh no! I guess I hit a wrong button. Thanks so much I bet thats a big part of the problem!!
BadWolf [Avatar]
[Post New]

Jeff

Speaking of the "render in ultra hd preview", I turned that off. Do you know where it saves those files? Is it the same location as the shadow/proxy files? I want to make sure I cleanup any space it used as I'm getting a little tight (new SSD ordered)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The preview files are in your current export folder setting in a hidden folder "Preview Cache Files". Or one can use the "Manual Delete" option in pref to remove them.

Jeff
Splatface [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2020 16:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You could try enabling shadow files and wait until all the yellow icons on the media library clips turn green before giving editing another try.

I had the same issue after the March update IE. choppy preview after appliying effects or fixes. Same 100% cpu use and almost nil gpu use. I have always had shaddow files enabled. I have tried all settings I know for Power Director, My Computer and my Video card. This problem used to only occur after applying HDR effect but with the last update it seems to occur with any fix or effect.
I have downgraded to an older version and the same clip plays perfectly although not if I apply HDR.??
My System:

Processor AMD A8-7650K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.30 GHz
Discrete Graphics Card AMD Radeon RX570 8GB DDR 5
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 746A2936-2018-44E7-979A-A585EBBCA7EC
Product ID 00330-80952-36523-AA995
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display