Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How can a play or "loop" animated GIF file for an hour?
Androtti [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2021 10:22 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
How can a play or "loop" am animated GIF file for an hour
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How can a play or "loop" am animated GIF file for an hour

Simply paste as many copies of the clip as you need. If the GIF runs for 10 seconds, you'll need 6 copies per minute and a total of 360 copies for an hour.

If it were me, I'd make the first minute's worth and then copy all those clips and paste them 60x.

To do it even quicker I'd paste that first minute 10x or 20x then copy that whole section and paste that 6x or 3x, respectively. If you lose track, just stop pasting when the clips reach the 1:00:00 point on the timeline counter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 03. 2021 13:08

Androtti [Avatar]
[Post New]

Simply paste as many copies of the clip as you need. If the GIF runs for 10 seconds, you'll need 6 copies per minute and a total of 360 copies for an hour.

If it were me, I'd make the first minute's worth and then copy all those clips and paste them 60x.

To do it even quicker I'd paste that first minute 10x or 20x then copy that whole section and paste that 6x or 3x, respectively. If you lose track, just stop pasting when the clips reach the 1:00:00 point on the timeline counter

With all due respect that seems kind of ridiculous. Isn't there a way to loop video clip or to designate its frame repetition somehow. You say it all the time on videos with an animated picture of it loops over and over again maybe in PowerDirector there is no feature to do this but I would really like to request it If it isn't there.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

To make it easier to create a loop with gif or other we can use this.
Hold the "D" key while dragging the clip to join the side.
If there are many after doing 5 or 10 select all and do it again, and so on.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With all due respect that seems kind of ridiculous. Isn't there a way to loop video clip or to designate its frame repetition somehow. You say it all the time on videos with an animated picture of it loops over and over again maybe in PowerDirector there is no feature to do this but I would really like to request it If it isn't there.

I understand. Media viewers and websites will automatically loop a GIF endlessly, but if you want to create a video that looks like that and plays for an hour, you'll have to use multiple copies. I know it sound tedious but it actually will only take a minute or two to set up.

PD doesn't have any kind of a "play x number of times" tool or setting, although the Action Camera tool has a feature that will loop specific sections (and slow them down, play them in reverese, zoom in, etc.), but it's limited to only a couple of repititions.

You can tell Cyberlink that you'd like to see them add a feature like that by going to File > Rate Us & Send Feedback. They don't normally monitor this user forum so that's the best way to make sure your request is seen by the right people.
Androtti [Avatar]
[Post New]

I understand. Media viewers and websites will automatically loop a GIF endlessly, but if you want to create a video that looks like that and plays for an hour, you'll have to use multiple copies. I know it sound tedious but it actually will only take a minute or two to set up.

PD doesn't have any kind of a "play x number of times" tool or setting, although the Action Camera tool has a feature that will loop specific sections (and slow them down, play them in reverese, zoom in, etc.), but it's limited to only a couple of repititions.

You can tell Cyberlink that you'd like to see them add a feature like that by going to File > Rate Us & Send Feedback. They don't normally monitor this user forum so that's the best way to make sure your request is seen by the right people.

ok I did this. Is there any solution to stop it looking like the gif stops for a split
second on each copy and the restarts. It is definitely noticeable unfortunately.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote ok I did this. Is there any solution to stop it looking like the gif stops for a split
second on each copy and the restarts. It is definitely noticeable unfortunately.

Yes. That simply means you have an extra, unmoving (static) frame at the beginning and/or end of your clip. All you need to do is trim at least one end so the loop is smooth and doesn't pause.

Make the trim and place 2 or 3 new copies of it end to end to make sure it's smooth, then replicate those clips for the full duration.
MusicLover [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 17, 2014 17:19 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]

Create the video and use this video as input for ffmpeg. There are millions of possibilities to generate the final animated GIF.

ffmpeg -stream_loop 3 -i input.mp4 output.gif