Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Compressing a video to fit on a DVD
Ellymoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2019 03:32 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Please could you advise me on how best to produce a file to make it fit on a standard DVD (4.7GB)? How can I best compress a video (I have my friend's wedding video to put onto DVD which is almost 2 hours) without losing the quality of the item? Is there any easy way to split the footage in two if I really have to, or do I have to do it manually and fade in, fade out, etc.?

Thanks very much for your help as this is taking a LONG time, and I'm sure it's much longer than I need to spend on it.
[Post New]
Quote Please could you advise me on how best to produce a file to make it fit on a standard DVD (4.7GB)? How can I best compress a video (I have my friend's wedding video to put onto DVD which is almost 2 hours) without losing the quality of the item? Is there any easy way to split the footage in two if I really have to, or do I have to do it manually and fade in, fade out, etc.?

Thanks very much for your help as this is taking a LONG time, and I'm sure it's much longer than I need to spend on it.

To maximize the quality use a dual layer DVD (8.5GB) for a two hour event.

Or better just burn a HD video, H265 encoded, as a plain file on that 4.7 GB DVD (or on a memory stick) that can be player in a PC or transfered on any digital device - that will give better quality than than the SD quality of DVD (H262/MPEG2). Nobody really uses a DVD Player anymore.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2021 05:45

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Sonic is correct, you need a double-layer disc to get anything watchable.
Some people to still use DVDs, though the group is being whittled down for sure.
May I ask what the source file is? Is it originally from a tape?
Is it interlaced or not?
I have never been happy with PD deinterlacing if going to a streaming file from tape capture. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Ellymoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2019 03:32 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks both for your replies. The DVD is for my friend's mum who doesn't have a computer. The original was from a VHS and I don't really want to compress more than I have to as it's not great quality anyway!

I did a lot of fiddling last night and it appears if I choose 'widescreen format' - which the menu template seems set for - this uses up a heck of a lot of space. Reduced screen allows it to fit on the disc, but doesn't look as good. I'm also concerned I've compromised the quality already.

If I want to put it across two DVDs is there an easy way of achieving this or do I have to just split the footage? There's no "two disc" setting?