Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD19 - Some parts of produced video have mono sound, all clips are stereo
camerondm44 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2021 15:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Having a baffling issue. I have assembled and produced a video with a combination of clips recorded on a camera with a stereo microphone, as well as audio-only clips recorded in Audacity with still images added in PD19. All clips play correctly in the PD19 timeline with full stereo sound. However, some of the camera-recorded clips have only left-channel sound after the video is produced and then played back in VLC or Windows Media Player. Both these programs show that the audio track is stereo. It's like PD renders the track in stereo but mutes the right channel for some clips. The most baffling part is that this only happens to 4 out of the 11 video clips in the timeline, all 11 clips were recorded with the same equipment on the same day. When viewing the clips in Audio Editor, they all have 2 tracks with the same waveform in both tracks.

I only have PD19's built-in audio editor, I do not have Audio Director. No idea what else to check. Any ideas out there?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Which output profile did you produce to? Try a different one entirely, or edit the profile you used and change the audio encoding to see if that makes a difference. For example, if you used AAC try using Dolby Digital (if you have a Win10 system) or LPCM.
camerondm44 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2021 15:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Which output profile did you produce to? Try a different one entirely, or edit the profile you used and change the audio encoding to see if that makes a difference. For example, if you used AAC try using Dolby Digital (if you have a Win10 system) or LPCM.

Thanks, but that turns out not to be my problem. The real problem, and this is very irritating, is that PD19 has turned all my embedded audio tracks to mono. On the original recorded footage, the audio is stereo. When the footage was first imported, one of the clips changed to mono. I went back to the original saved edit and checked. Over the last few days of editing, all the video clips have converted themselves to mono, apparently a couple at a time as I worked on the edit. They still show as stereo in Audio Editor, but only the left side plays. The separately recorded audio-only tracks have remained stereo. If I go back through my saved edits, I can kind of trace the progression of the clips being changed to mono.

I did not notice this originally because the Dell laptop I use for editing has some sort of "audio enhancer" built into its sound software that always outputs everything to stereo. Once I turned that off, I could hear the problem.

Several days of work is now wasted. I did no changes to the audio portions of these video files except for a little noise reduction.

Since I do not have Audio Director at an extra hundred bucks, I now have to extract the audio from every video clip, change it back to stereo in Audacity and then replace it over top of the original audio.

If this is Cyberlink's way of "encouraging" me to spend more money for Audio Director, I am not impressed.

If someone out there has an idea of why this happened, or has a better way of fixing it, I'm all ears.

If this happens on my next project as well, I will be done with Cyberlink.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There seem to be several things going on, and the only way your fellow users can help unravel what's happening is to take this in stages.

First, PD in no way should ever change your original clips so whatever changes you're seeing must be cached somewhere.

Do you have shadow files enabled? If so turn them off and then manually clear out all the temporary files.

To do that go to File and then create a New Project. From the Preferences (gear) menu use the Manually Delete button and select all temporary clips. Next, delete them and then exit PD. Now launch PD again, and that same screen should show no more temp files.

Now open your project again and see if the issues remain. If so, save a copy of the PDS file for testing and close PD.

Using File Explorer, go to one of the recorded files that shows up as mono and rename it. Add a letter or number so that PD won't be able to find it using the original name, then launch PD and open the "testing" project again.

When prompted for the missing clip, browse to the renamed version and load that. Save the testing project right away and see if the clip shows as mono or stereo.

Please follow these steps as written (no more, no less) and let us know the outcome.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

......... Over the last few days of editing, all the video clips have converted themselves to mono, apparently a couple at a time as I worked on the edit. They still show as stereo in Audio Editor, but only the left side plays. The separately recorded audio-only tracks have remained stereo. If I go back through my saved edits, I can kind of trace the progression of the clips being changed to mono.

Hi,
Can I check I have this correct:
All your video clips are originally stereo.
As you edit they remain stereo (as analysed by Audio Editor) but only play as "mono" after editing/producing.
Your audio only tracks remain correct.

Your only audio edit is " I did no changes to the audio portions of these video files except for a little noise reduction."
I presume no audio edits were done on the audio only files.

So, if that is correct, then it would seem the issue is confined to video files that have had the Audio Editor noise reduction applied.

I would like more information on exactly what Noise Reduction was applied and any other editing that might have an effect, I realise that is dificult to specify, but the more specific information the better. It would also help to know exactly what you have to do in Audacity to "change it back to stereo"

As a side issue, I feel certain that CL do not deliberately introduce flaws into software to drive sales to additional products, and I cannot recall anything similar to your issue happening over the years.

Thank you,
PowerDirector Moderator
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Hi camerondm44

Very strange your case, if it were me I would try from the timeline to open in Audio Editor to make any volume changes for example and leave.
This creates a copy of the audio in wav format, which replaces the audio in the timeline.
It is a palliative that "maybe" can solve the case. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365