Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Mouth Smacks
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2019 04:20 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I'm new to AudioDirector and have recently subscribed to PD365.
I have recently recorded a 15 min voiceover. Listening back, it's full of mouth smacks, loud clicks made by lips or tongue.
Is there a simple method to use AD to silence these? As a newbie I've gone through the whole file, using the yellow timeline sliders to select the clicks, then right clicked, and used the menu to 'silence' that piece. Time consuming!
My hope is there's an automated work-around or plug-in that can be applied.
Thanks
Neil
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You need to place a pop filter between the mic and mouth to reduce or stop these noises from being recorded. They are relatively inexpensive. That would be ideal.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the response.
I'm using a lav mic so that's not an option unfortunately! Also, the 'click' is quite loud, distinctive, so I dont think this would work.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I've had to do that manually in PD, and it is time consuming. Honestly it sounds like your approach is reasonable, although it's worth giving the Click Removal and Plossive Removal tools from the Restore page a try.

The other option would be to go back a re-record your narration after practicing speaking for a while in a way that reduces the unwanted sounds.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
OptoData
Ha! I hoped there might have a been a magic button to press ; Oh well ...
I've been working on this project for a couple of weeks (re my other posting on clipping) so to re-record isn't an option.
I was thinking somehow AD could 'copy and correct' one of these clicks, save this as a rule, and that this could then be applied to search the whole project and correct for similar.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Can you post a audio file with this issue and a timecode of the issue? Make sure the file has good voice in it too so if we try something, we can see how much it damages good content too.

Jeff
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff
How about this?
Thanks once again for your interest.
Neil
 Filename
Mouth Click.m4a
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
186 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
So, are you mainly talking about this large smack near 6.7-7.1 sec? Or other more subtle ones too? The big one is very easy to fix since well isolated. Since a pulse it contains many frequencies so you can't do something to the whole file without causing good audio damage too but one could very easily clean up every isolated smack.

Jeff
[Thumb - smack.png]
 Filename
smack.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
108 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree that the loud tongue clicks will have to be addressed individually, but in your sample clip it's well removed from any other vocals and is fairly easy to remove.

For the remaining items, applying either Plossive Removal or Click Removal will dull the edges of them and make them less apparent. Experiment with the different settings until you find a good match then apply that to your entire track to soften the harsher sounds.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff/OptoData
Thanks for the input. I'll certainly try that out. Being a process junkie I was hoping there was some way of automating the click removal, as the 'clicks', as you say, are well defined.
I'm raising my game now having just received a Tascam Dr05X which I'll plug my Boya lav mic into. It'll probably record the clicks even more clearly surprised
We live and learn.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There are other tools out there that work well in reducing or eliminating the mouth clicks in AudioDirector and others that can be seen in demos. Here is a link to the click removal tool use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsjMybnhJTc . You can use it to start but need to run more than one tool as others have suggested.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 18. 2021 19:02

Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tomasc
Thanks for the link. I still can't help thinking there could be some way of automating a 'search and replace' type function, for the kind of clicks I make. Very much mindful as to how this works in MS Word - search - find next - replace?
It needs someone much smarter than me to create this though cool
[Post New]
Hello Back2TheBike,

Jeff, optodata & tomasc have all provided excellent options for resolving your mouth click issue in ADR.

You may be interested to read this article, which explains some ways to avoid & deal with unwanted mouth clicks in voice recordings.

As Jeff indicated, there's a delicate balance between removing unwanted sound & maintaing the quality of the rest of the audio.

Beyond the repair tools optodata suggested, there are other options. You mentioned an "automated function/process". Yes, there are such options available but how well they function (without affecting the rest of the audio) is variable. These usually come in the form of VST plugins. Some are free, but many are not. ADR can import VST plugins to expand the feature set.

VST plugins for your purposes are easy to find. Searching for "VST declicker" will yield results. Here's an example of a VST bundle that includes a declicker.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Pix
That's a fascinating article. I train people in risk management, and the following would seem a helpful mitigation strategy:
I have been hydrating, but need to up my game here:

1. 2 hours before the session AND every 15 lines

2. A tip from the comments section, to keep mouth slightly open between breaks

3. Mic positioned slightly further away (a lav mic pinned about 3 buttons down currently). Every little helps ...

Looking at all the advice above, I've tried the click removal tool (Audacity too), plosive tool, all to minimal effect.
In my case, the 'smack' is always bracketed with silence before and after, so quite a distinctive wavform to search for.
(see attached image)
I reckon it wouldn't be hard for CL to design a search and replace tool. You would copy a typical 'smack' and replace with silence of similar length. Press a button and the software jumps to the next similar 'smack' etc
In these days of face recognition software, and CIA looking for voice patterns over the airwaves, the tech must exist somewhere IMHO.

Your thoughts very much appreciated - thanks
Neil
[Thumb - click.JPG]
 Filename
click.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)