Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Saving Preference Settings
Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Why cant all the preference settings for a project be saved with the project?

PD7 does not remember the preference setting for the Import Directory for a particular project. With several projects on the go you have to remember to change the Import Directory each time you switch projects. Otherwise any voice-overs etc. are put in the "wrong" directory. I like to keep all my media and captures for each project in a separate master folder. That way you can't loose track of them.

This question has been raised before.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3605.page

but I was wondering if PD8 has addressed the problem.

Thanks

Roger.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roger,
The Import Directory is flexible and changes as a result of where you select media files from.

The Export Directory is the one you fix to save project files to.

There is really simple to reset just by carrying out either of the following:
1. Keyboard shortcut: Alt+C
2. Edit > Preferences > File tab > and the browse for a location.

Please ensure you set up your video editor correctly.

I also use File > Save project as to place my .pds correctly.

In addition:
Use a simple display short cut method I have adopted.
Open PD
Open the directory and click drag and drop the pds file into PD's Media Library.

I hope some of this helps. Written from memory, I don't think I missed anything out.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2009 09:35

Roger [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia Joined: Sep 29, 2008 09:03 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Sorry I was a bit confusing with my query.

I understand that I can set up the Export Directory to save my files to. My concern is that When I switch to a different project, where I have set up a different export directory, the export directory remains the same as it was in the project I just closed down, and does not change to that I had set in the project I just opened. It is a nuisance to have to go and re-set the preference each time I switch projects. Surely It would be easy for the programmers to fix this, so that the export directory is "attached" to the project unless I deliberately change it.

I sometimes forget to change the preference when I open a different project, and end up with voice-over captures in the "wrong" directory

Now I am aware of the problem I take care to change it, but I got my files in a terrible mess before I realised what was happening. It is just so illogical I never expected it.

Is there a good reason not to have the export directory change to that which has been set for a particular project?

Regards

Roger.

Regards

Roger
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I had a similar problem when I first started using PD, I still get caught out every now and then.

What I miss is with my old editing program was an option of "Save project to same folder as source material." That way you never had to chase up where your finished projects were if you were working on different projects. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roger,

I prefer the present layout with the distinction to remain.

I collect all my video media material to one location but I import my audio and watermark stuff later on and tend not to place them in the same location as the video unless I "Pack my project".

I can understand the issues you have raised... and have done something similar with voice overs.

Robert,
Yes, your suggestion works on many programs rendering single file to single file but as I mentioned above, where source material comes from more than one location it doesn't. I could end up placing all my voice overs with my Royalty Free Music and that would mess me around

This is just my opinion and I welcome members input here.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2009 03:15