Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 365 Sound Distortion
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2019 04:20 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Folks
I've recently upgraded to 365 from PD18.
On a recent video the final rendering has distorted the audio (my voice), as if it had been recorded on a cheap mic, sounds like it's clipping. There is a clear, noticable difference between the original audio (recorded with a lav mic into a Sony Digital recorder) and the outputted .MP4 file. My original audio source file shows none of this distortion. Also, there is no distortion on sound in the PD 'edit' mode when I play it. The sound file waveform is statndard with no yellow peaks to indicate any overloading.
The audio 'set up' on the 'Produce' page dialogue box is set to the standard of AAC, Stereo, 384 Kbps.
I checked the Forum and it seems this happened a few years ago (PD13/14?) and PD issued a patch to cure it. Some folk seem to have exported the Mp4 into another app to rectify the issue.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Ben_Bear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2021 05:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Folks
I've recently upgraded to 365 from PD18.
On a recent video the final rendering has distorted the audio (my voice), as if it had been recorded on a cheap mic, sounds like it's clipping. There is a clear, noticable difference between the original audio (recorded with a lav mic into a Sony Digital recorder) and the outputted .MP4 file. My original audio source file shows none of this distortion. Also, there is no distortion on sound in the PD 'edit' mode when I play it. The sound file waveform is statndard with no yellow peaks to indicate any overloading.
The audio 'set up' on the 'Produce' page dialogue box is set to the standard of AAC, Stereo, 384 Kbps.
I checked the Forum and it seems this happened a few years ago (PD13/14?) and PD issued a patch to cure it. Some folk seem to have exported the Mp4 into another app to rectify the issue.
Has anyone else had this problem?

you can check your output audio's sample rate.

if its not same as oringinal one, it might have some distortion.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]

you can check your output audio's sample rate.

if its not same as oringinal one, it might have some distortion.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

After trawling every source I could find yesterday on distortion, I tried dropping the gain. I've run 'Produce' again, and after initially thinking it had solved the problem, I reckon it's just as bad as before. Makes me sound like I've got a sore throat, classic clipping.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 12. 2021 06:59

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After trawling every source I could find yesterday on distortion, I tried dropping the gain. I've run 'Produce' again, and after initially thinking it had solved the problem, I reckon it's just as bad as before. Makes me sound like I've got a sore throat, classic clipping.

If you're comfortable sharing that specific clip, upload it to One Drive or Google Drive and paste a publicly-shareable link to it here so other users can check it. See this FAQ for more details.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you're comfortable sharing that specific clip, upload it to One Drive or Google Drive and paste a publicly-shareable link to it here so other users can check it. See this FAQ for more details.

Thanks for the offer.
Here are the files:

1. Original MP3 at 44KHz File

2. The audio cut from my video. I produced it at 48KHz (after seeing a tip on this forum that upping it from 44KHz might help) but it still distorts. Distorted File

Filename
Audio Distortion Sample.m4a
[Disk]
 Description
Distorted File
 Filesize
384 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
155 time(s)
 Filename
Original MP3 file at 44KHz.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
Original MP3 at 44KHz
 Filesize
249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the files. They're really small so attaching them works just fine. I can clearly hear the distortion and I think it's related to this issue. You don't have to read through the entire thread and my last post at the bottom has the steps that CL tech support thought would address the issue.

I can try that out later today when I have more time, but if it works for you in the meantime please post an update.
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi OptoData
Thanks for the heads up on this. I presume this is what you mean:
As workaround, you may consider selecting consistent sample 44100 Hz (1411 kbps) profile to produce the project (that contains the MP3 audio file only) into WAV audio format, and then check if the corresponding sample rate profile can ease/decrease additional distortion in the waveform after the audio format is converted. It could be a possible solution.
I'm puzzled though, as this seems to address an audio only production, whereas I want to make video? I'm very much a newbie on sound editing editing so please forgive the dumb questions cool
I went into the 'custom' profile type, where. It allows me to tweak compression method, audio channel and compression rate. The max rate is 384, so I can't choose 1411.
Whatever I do, it needs to be YouTube friendly/compatible. Very frustrating this doesn't work as it should.
BTW It's great to hear from California. I'm in rural England, where we've had a succession of spring hail showers today.
Your attention is much appreciated from across the pond in furthering US/UK relations ...
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Change audio to LPCM, 1536 Kbps and you will probably be good.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Change audio to LPCM, 1536 Kbps and you will probably be good.

Jeff

I agree, and also this isn't typical. You should normally not have to worry about tweaking the audio settings so finely just to get a reasonable quality output.

A quick test showed a clear result with a custom profile using Jeff's suggested LPCM 1536 Kbps audio bitrate. I also produced a standard AAC 48Khz output that sounded much better than the clip you produced, although it seems to have some of the degredation that yours does.

I've attached them both and you can listen to and judge them for yourself.
 Filename
Back2TheBike LPCM sample.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
custom profile LPCM 1536kbps
 Filesize
3153 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
105 time(s)
 Filename
Back2TheBike AAC sample.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
standard profile 48kHz AAC
 Filesize
916 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
139 time(s)
Back2TheBike [Avatar]
[Post New]
OptoData and JL
Bingo. Problem solved.
For the benefit of amateurs like myself who are new to this, the steps are as follows:

1. Open the 'Produce' page.

2. Create a new 'custom' profile type, name it.

3. In the 'quality profile'set up' box, go into the 'audio' tab, select LPCM and a rate of 1536Kbps.

4. Click OK

The audio now shows none of the clipping/distortion that had been present.
I've been using PD for a 3 years now but am a novice when it comes to audio, so no idea why this works, it just does.
I hope someone from CL picks up this issue and patches it. Adding 44KHz CD quality sound from a lav mic/digital sound recorder shouldn't be a problem for the software, and it's clearly a repeat of the PD13 distortion issue.
Big thanks to OptoData and JL for your advice, support and expertise. laughing