Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smooth flip
A_J_123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 07, 2016 07:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
I was trying to recreate a title sequence I had created on another editor and thought I knew enough about Powerdirector to do this but I'm stuck. I was using the PIP editor for the work and covered most points until I wanted to rotate a clip horizontally. In the PIP there is the flip option but that seems to be on or off. I found the flip canvas effect, set a starting keyframe of flipped and then another keyframe where the clip is normal and was hoping to see the clip spin between the two keyframes but it doesn't it just flips completely when it hits the keyframe with no smooth action between. How do I get the smooth spin I am looking for?
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
I'm am not aware of a feature in PowerDirector with the capability to rotate or flip images on the Z axis using keyframes. I have been requesting a 3D editing feature for the PiP Designer for a few years now. If you'd like to request the feature you can do so in the software by going to "File > FAQ and Send Feedback". Wish I could offer an alternative option in the program. Perhaps someone else will be able to enlighten both of us. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are several transitions that do that, but they fade out at the end, so you can use the freeform controls to smoothly rotate your clip in the PiPDesigner or Keyframe tool.

Basically these are the steps:

1. Set the freeform positions at the start of the clip then set another keyframe in the middle

2. To rotate the clip with the left edge moving "away", set the middle freeform positions to 0.5,0.1; 0.5,0; 0.5,0.9; 0.5,1.0

3. Split the clip in half, and apply the Flip Canvas FX to the second half

4. Set the second clip's starting freeform positions to 0.5,0; 0.5,0.1; 0.5,1; 0.5,0.9

Here's what that should look like:

You can download this project and play around with it. You can also drag your actual clips onto the skateboard clip but you'll most like need to adjust the timing and position of the keyframes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2021 12:53

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
The transition, Spin Horizontal, makes it rotate 360º I don't know if it does what you want. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. I'v done that
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is exactly the effect I am looking for. I see you ans AVPlay also mention the transition which might be easier. I'm back at my PC and will experiment with both. Thanks guys.
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are several transitions that do that, but they fade out at the end, so you can use the freeform controls to smoothly rotate your clip in the PiPDesigner or Keyframe tool.

1. Set the freeform positions at the start of the clip then set another keyframe in the middle

2. To rotate the clip with the left edge moving "away", set the middle freeform positions to 0.5,0.1; 0.5,0; 0.5,0.9; 0.5,1.0

4. Set the second clip's starting freeform positions to 0.5,0; 0.5,0.1; 0.5,1; 0.5,0.9

You can download this project and play around with it. You can also drag your actual clips onto the skateboard clip but you'll most like need to adjust the timing and position of the keyframes.

OK. What I found easy and quick to set up was to duplicate my clip, trim the first copy to the time of the effect, apply the flip canvas effect and then transition spin horizontal into the other clip.
Then I downloaded your project but got stuck. In PIP I can see the keyframes on the freeform line but on the left of the screen I cannot see anywhere to change the values. The effect works perfectly but I'm not sure how.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In the PiP Designer (and in the preview screen from the main timeline) you can manually drag the blue freeform control points, but to enter numeric values you need to use the Keyframe tool instead.
A_J_123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote In the PiP Designer (and in the preview screen from the main timeline) you can manually drag the blue freeform control points, but to enter numeric values you need to use the Keyframe tool instead.

OK thanks, I see the numbers there. Not sure why we couldn't have them in PIP and do everything in one place.

You've been a great help.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are several transitions that do that, but they fade out at the end, so you can use the freeform controls to smoothly rotate your clip in the PiPDesigner or Keyframe tool.

Nice! "The man" comes through once again. Think I'll make a tutorial on this. I'll be sure to give you a shout out and link to this thread in the tutorial.