Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 365 won't open at all.
Brian108 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 30, 2018 04:41 Messages: 50 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector 365 won't open at all!!? What happened. I just did the January upgrade and now it won't open at all. Help!!!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are several things you can try. The first would be to uninstall PD by right-clicking on it in the App Manager, then reboot and install it again. If you have trouble doing that, you can try running the App Manager as an Administrator by right-clicking on its desktop icon and choosing that option.

You can also use the standard Windows uninstaller.
UsRicoSuave [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2022 09:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PowerDirector 365 won't open at all!!? What happened. I just did the January upgrade and now it won't open at all. Help!!!

It seems that the CyberLink PowerDirector application stays open in memory even when you exited and closed the app.

1. For now my solution to this is to simply open your computer task management.
    2. Locate and select the the application named "PowerDirector 21" and press the "END TASK" button.
    3. This fix the issue and you can then open your Cyberlink app however this issue may appear again and you may need to follow the steps listed above.

This resolves the issue for me. Cyberlink needs to do something about this. This is simply unacceptable and an issue that is affecting many Cyberlink PowerDirecto users. It seems that the Cyberlink App is not closing properly and the app stays in memory. This is why you need to go to your TASK MANAGEMENT and close this particular app if it does not open when you need to use it. This is a CYBERLINK Issue.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2022 09:44

Grumpy Goat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2019 16:08 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

It seems that the CyberLink PowerDirector application stays open in memory even when you exited and closed the app.

1. For now my solution to this is to simply open your computer task management.
    2. Locate and select the the application named "PowerDirector 21" and press the "END TASK" button.
    3. This fix the issue and you can then open your Cyberlink app however this issue may appear again and you may need to follow the steps listed above.

This resolves the issue for me. Cyberlink needs to do something about this. This is simply unacceptable and an issue that is affecting many Cyberlink PowerDirecto users. It seems that the Cyberlink App is not closing properly and the app stays in memory. This is why you need to go to your TASK MANAGEMENT and close this particular app if it does not open when you need to use it. This is a CYBERLINK Issue.

I had to double check to see if it was I who posted this issue and forgot that I did. I am having the same problem and do not have a solution other than the above Task Manager > End Task routine which is a PITA. I can add a little bit more insight into this - maybe there is some commonality with UsRicoSuave's situation.

I use PD365 on a Windows 11 laptop connected to my 2 monitors via a Plugable USB-C 4K Docking Station. The OS, PD365 and all drivers are up to date.

The problem does not happen:

1. If the laptop is used by itself, i.e. not connected to the external monitors, or
  2. If the laptop lid is open (i.e. its screen is #1 & Main Display) and the others are #2 and #3.

The problem exists under 2 scenarios:

1. When the laptop's lid is closed, i.e. one of the monitors is now Display #1 & Main Display, and I am only using the 2 external monitors.
  2. When the laptop's lid is open, and one of the monitors is the Main Display (but not Display #1)

At first, before fully testing the above 4 scenarios, I suspected the issue was the Plugable Docking Stations, or more precisely its DisplayLink drivers. So I uninstalled all DisplayLink drivers / software and the problem still persists.

Curious thing is, I bought this laptop in November 2022 and had the problem ever since then (I think) . The previous laptop was the previous model of this laptop, without the OLED screen and will less power etc. Monitors, Docking Station, etc. all the same and that had no issues.

I believe that the issue is with PD365 and its shutdown routine not removing itself as a background process. The fact that it is not loading because it sees another instance of PD365 running is probably correct.

I reported the issue to Cyberlink Support and they replied with a stock blurb asking for a bunch of stuff that would not solve the issue. I say this because I gave them all that dtuff before and the issue died on the vine ... no solution.

Any other experiences like this?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I had to double check to see if it was I who posted this issue and forgot that I did. I am having the same problem and do not have a solution other than the above Task Manager > End Task routine which is a PITA. I can add a little bit more insight into this - maybe there is some commonality with UsRicoSuave's situation.

I use PD365 on a Windows 11 laptop connected to my 2 monitors via a Plugable USB-C 4K Docking Station. The OS, PD365 and all drivers are up to date.

The problem does not happen:

1. If the laptop is used by itself, i.e. not connected to the external monitors, or
  2. If the laptop lid is open (i.e. its screen is #1 & Main Display) and the others are #2 and #3.

The problem exists under 2 scenarios:

1. When the laptop's lid is closed, i.e. one of the monitors is now Display #1 & Main Display, and I am only using the 2 external monitors.
  2. When the laptop's lid is open, and one of the monitors is the Main Display (but not Display #1)

At first, before fully testing the above 4 scenarios, I suspected the issue was the Plugable Docking Stations, or more precisely its DisplayLink drivers. So I uninstalled all DisplayLink drivers / software and the problem still persists.

Curious thing is, I bought this laptop in November 2022 and had the problem ever since then (I think) . The previous laptop was the previous model of this laptop, without the OLED screen and will less power etc. Monitors, Docking Station, etc. all the same and that had no issues.

I believe that the issue is with PD365 and its shutdown routine not removing itself as a background process. The fact that it is not loading because it sees another instance of PD365 running is probably correct.

I reported the issue to Cyberlink Support and they replied with a stock blurb asking for a bunch of stuff that would not solve the issue. I say this because I gave them all that dtuff before and the issue died on the vine ... no solution.

Any other experiences like this?

What you describe is probably related to what GPU is driving which port under which conditions. Every laptop can be different and can be different when docked or undocked. What drives HDMI port may not be the same as DisplayPort. Some laptops will give options in BIOS for control, others will not as extra circuitry on the board is required. PD under most dual GPU laptop configurations utilizes the onboard GPU and only makes the discrete GPU available for encoding. Perhaps a laptop with no discrete GPU may not have this issue. I'd guess something in this mode of operation is causing the issue and probably needs CL attention for a true fix.

Jeff