Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD17 4:3 (5:4) video being stretched
dave_van_damn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 02:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I've recently captured some VHS tapes in the Lagarith format. The specs are as follows:

ID : 0
Format : Lagarith
Codec ID : LAGS
Duration : 7 min 50 s
Bit rate : 65.5 Mb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 5:4
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 6.319
Stream size : 3.59 GiB (98%)

When I insert into PD17 as a 4:3 project, the video appears in the correct aspect ratio in the Media Room (Picture 1)

However, when I drop into the time line, the frame in the preview mode is wider because there are 2 black horizonal bars on either side of the video (Picture 2). Similarly, the exported video also has these 2 horizontal bars.

Is there anyway to insert the video into the timeline with the correct ratio (ie. no black horizontal bars or stretched video)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[Thumb - Photo 1.png]
 Filename
Photo 1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
460 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Photo 2.png]
 Filename
Photo 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
636 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... Is there anyway to insert the video into the timeline with the correct ratio (ie. no black horizontal bars or stretched video)? ...

NOPE. never had it never will. no can do. Cyberlink only supports 4x3, 16x9 and horizontal...

Quote ... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

workaround would be to produce it and chop the excess fat off with Handbrake or FFmpegyag.

oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
EDIT PepsiMan answered first, and in addition to the ARs he listed, PD8 and PD19 also have 9:16 and 1:1 ratios. Just not 5:4.

Quote Is there any way to insert the video into the timeline with the correct ratio (ie. no black horizontal bars or stretched video)?

PD has a limited number of fixed ARs, and it will always fill two edges with content that doesn't match that ratio, leaving black bars on the other sides.

If you want to keep the project AR and have your clip fit, you can either enlarge it so that the shorter sides fill the screen (and possibly adjust the clip position in the other direction to keep the desired content onscreen), or right-click on the clip on the timeline and choose Set Clip Attributes > Set Aspect Ratio and then Neither 4:3 nor 16:9 and choose one of the dropdown options.

If instead you want to keep the 5:4 clip AR and produce a video to match, you'll need to use a free third party tool and follow a workflow like this one or this one.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2021 17:33

dave_van_damn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2019 02:32 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies. Hmm, shame I can't cut the black bars off in PD17, but I've had a look at the third party tools and the seem to do the job.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can let CL know that you'd like to be able to produce to any aspect ratio rather than the limited choices in the dropdown menu by using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under the File menu.