Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio waves
MikeA9 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 05, 2021 10:35 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to put this up because I know it has been asked in the past. Basically I did a trial of PowerDirector a few days ago and then bought a subscription. I have been using it fine and have produced at least 6 1 - 2 hour movies based on Zoom session recordings. However, I am typically not seeing the audio wave in the video clips. That doesn't bother me a lot most times. But occasionally I would like to see it and edit on the basis of what I see. My understanding, maybe wrong, is that this was an old problem that had been fixed. I am wrong? Any ideas?

After I wrote this and posted I saw that the issue is related to shadow files. While the program says it is creating them, nothing is appearing in the folder. One interesting thing was that just before this, when I was exploring the issue, I managed to crash the program. When I re-started it, it asked me about re-loading the project. I did, and the one clip I had in it came up with an audio wave and a shadow file. I then added other clips and nothing has happened to them - no audio and no shadow files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2021 10:01

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
PD has been slow to show the audio wave, I don't know if for any format, I use more “x.MTS” generally when there are many clips.
It only happens the first time you add the clips to the timeline.
For short Videos the audio wave appears immediately.
When I use shadow files, I usually expect all clips to be converted, the yellow mark should be green for all clips.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2021 10:38

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Try this, if you haven't already.

Select clip with no waveform
Rt Click
Regenerate Waveform For Selected Clip

Does that do anything to help?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried it earlier, several times. No response. Just tried it again. Nothing. Seems to be ignoring me! :
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]
These are short clips. But nothing happens. The icon on the media content clips is yellow for all and the note when you put the mouse on them says Shadow file generating. This is also true for the one that has a shadow file. It's been a couple of hours now and nothing has changed. There's only 3 minutes of clips on the timeline. Thanks!
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote These are short clips. But nothing happens. The icon on the media content clips is yellow for all and the note when you put the mouse on them says Shadow file generating. This is also true for the one that has a shadow file. It's been a couple of hours now and nothing has changed. There's only 3 minutes of clips on the timeline. Thanks!

Have you tried switching off shadow files in Preferences to see if that affects the waveform generation. Many folk try not to use them unless absolutely necessary for editing, as they've had a history of being a bit prone to difficulty in some circumstances.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Tried it earlier, several times. No response. Just tried it again. Nothing. Seems to be ignoring me! :

You have already tried to close and reopen PD.
Also restarting your PC, sometimes resolves strange problems that appear.
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]

You have already tried to close and reopen PD.
Also restarting your PC, sometimes resolves strange problems that appear.

Yes, restarted many times, and rebooted several times. Thanks!
tbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 09:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Zooming in or out often helps, but I'm sure you've tried that!

I've managed to regenerate waveforms, but like some other things in PD, once you've done it a few times, it will just ignore you!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2021 13:08

MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Zooming in or out often helps, but I'm sure you've tried that!

I've managed to regenerate waveforms, but like some other things in PD, once you've done it a few times, it will just ignore you!

Using Crop/Zoom/Pan?
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Have you tried switching off shadow files in Preferences to see if that affects the waveform generation. Many folk try not to use them unless absolutely necessary for editing, as they've had a history of being a bit prone to difficulty in some circumstances.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I did and then switched them back on. No difference!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe post one of the clips (google drive, drop box, one drive....or the like) you are having issues with to see if a PD systemic issue.

Jeff
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Maybe post one of the clips (google drive, drop box, one drive....or the like) you are having issues with to see if a PD systemic issue.

Jeff

It's a PD issue for sure. I have put up clips from about three video cameras as well as Zoom recordings. The camera clips are standard video and edit well in this and other programs. They all fail in terms of shadow files and audio waves.
tbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 13, 2011 09:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]

Using Crop/Zoom/Pan?

no, I mean just Zoom in View, on the Timeline.
MikeA9 [Avatar]
[Post New]

no, I mean just Zoom in View, on the Timeline.

I'm a newbie. Is that going into the view box and changing the dimensions of the clip?

Anyway - all of my clips now have waves. I went to task manager and closed the program from there. When I restarted it asked if wanted the old project back. I said yes, and all the clips arrived back with audio waves. And they all now have shadow files! Clearly some bug in the program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2021 15:36