Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VHS Conversion Advice Please?
Linda B [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2009 13:42 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
I am a PD14 user who also used Pinnacle and Dazzle years ago to capture/convert VHS content from a VCR. I recently bought the updated DAZZLE to use on my newer Windows 10 computer and the resulting videos were poorer quality than watching the original on TV and often had a audio lag problem. I would like to purchase a capture card or solution that will work well (at least have the quality of the original once it's been digitized). Then I want to edit and store digitally using PD. Everything I have seen on the forum that is a request like this is old. I know the VHS tapes are old, but the content they contain is priceless. Looks like lots of smart people on this forum...any help is appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 29. 2021 10:46

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Pinnacle and Dazzle pci capture cards were among the best back then. Unfortunately my Win xp computer is dead so I have to rely on the Diamond vc-500 to do the job. If your old pc is still working then why not use it to do the capture like you have done previously. You can then export the captured files to a portable ssd drive to use with your new Win 10 pc. That would be ideal.

There are others that do a great job of capturing analog vhs material and offer better help. See this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/83238.page .
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Linda,
welcome to the forum.
Sorry but Dazzle is a pig of a card.
Get a Hauppage USB Live 2, or a Diamond VC-500. Neither is a "top" card, but they are decent and will work in Windows 10.
Your VCR should have S-video out for better capture quality. Harder to come by these days. It starts with a good solid VCR.
If you must settle for RCA connections, so be it.
VHS is interlaced, so I prefer, if using Powerdirector, to capture using MPEG2, but I bump up the bitrate to 12,000, because I will inevitably need to render once more after fixing colors, and masking the cruddy edges, then use a normal HQ setting.

Prepare for eye-rolls...

I always capture lossless AVI, with a HuffYUV codec, using VirtualDub freeware. It makes huuuge files, but it's exactly what is on the tape, with litttle to no compression loss. Then after fixes in PD, I can THEN render to a proper video file for TV, web, whatever.

Whatever you use, you should place a Time Base Corrector in your workflow. But unless you have 2K lying around you can't find one anymore.
Workflow
I would suggest getting an old Panasonic ES-10 or ES-15 DVD recorder to act like a poor man's TBC.
You do NOT record to DVD with it, just pass the signal through. It will reduce or eliminate dropped frames and wobbles.
It will also eliminate the tearing (bend at the top of the video) you sometimes see at the top of VHS tapes while viewing. It's miraculous in that respect.
You need the remote to shut off the overzealous Noise Reduction to avoid "clay face". Too much NR causes smearing and loss of detail, hence clay face.

Yes, a lot to digest, but you want to do a better job, right? A windows 7 or XP computer is actually best for capture.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. I will gladly spurt out more if you ask.
The premier resource for analog capture and restore world is DigitalFAQ.com.
[Thumb - IMG_1838.JPG]
 Filename
IMG_1838.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Workflow for analog capture
 Filesize
3275 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
14 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 29. 2021 12:45

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A little bragging here...
you see in the previous post...the Elite BVP-4plus? Professional-level stuff.
You see those refurbished for upwards of $500.
I bought that one MINT for $106 off Goodwill auction site.
Yes, you heard me, Goodwill.
No kidding.
I mean, who but a nutjob would go hunting at Goodwill for good stuff?
Me I guess.
What a great score.
The MINT JVC on the bottom was $10 at SAVERS. TEN bucks. Friggin SAVERS! Nothing good is ever at SAVERS. Just this one time!
SCORE! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Linda B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have you ever used a "Toshiba DVD / VHS Recorder Transfer VHS to DVD Model DKVR60KU" or something like it? There are a few of them available around $100 in my area.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Nope. It’s pretty pricey at Amazon at $500. You can scroll down the page to Customer questions and answers for any questions that you might have: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DKVR60-DVD-Player-Combo/dp/B003Y814M8 .
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
In my humble (no laughing) opinion, I think you would be best served by getting your hands on a JVC with S-VHS ability.
Beware of Ebay. Buy with caution everywhere.
Get a Panasonic ES-10 or 15 as a pass-thru device.
Those 2 pieces together, maybe $200-250.
A decent dongle. $50 or so.
After you are done you can resell and get much of your money back. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Have you ever used a "Toshiba DVD / VHS Recorder Transfer VHS to DVD Model DKVR60KU" or something like it? ...

i have toshiba RD-XS35 and panni DMR-E85H. both will transfer vhs to dvd and or in my case also to built in HDD.

in my experience panni dvds are tad sharper than toshiba and it'll cut at the single frame you want. on the other hand the toshiba will be at ±3 frames.

Quote ... There are a few of them available around $100 in my area. ...

vs Tomasc
Quote Nope. It’s pretty pricey at Amazon at $500. ...

i'd buy it!

panasonic is tad sharper than toshiba in my experience...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'
[Thumb - 20180126_093051.jpg]
 Filename
20180126_093051.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
my other panasonics to transfer vhs to dvd and or to HDD
 Filesize
897 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Linda B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good morning again. Have been looking for a S-VHS and have stumbled upon a Panasonic SVHS Reporter 456 Proline. Its the actual camcorder, but I was wondering if it has the TBC capabilities for playback? I apologize if that is a dumb question, but figured I would ask....
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... Panasonic SVHS Reporter 456 Proline. Its the actual camcorder, but I was wondering if it has the TBC capabilities for playback? ...

according to the operating manual panni AG-456 and AG-456UP S-VHS Camcorder review utilizes VITC, Vertical Interval Timecode.

must read to understand What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes and Panasonic DMR-E55 TBC, more than a simple line TBC? . trhouse's comment on 11th March 2005 then you'll see what the DMR series recorders does...

hope this helps.

oh, happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1