Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Low GPU use?
David_D [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 10, 2019 10:03 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
I had some random issues with PD shutting down in the middle of
rendering, and an odd menu error, and at times PD was clunky ("PD
not responding") - so I did a fresh install of Win 10. Probably
long over due.

Anywho - I'm
noticing that I get very little GPU use when rendering - is this
normal? I don't have much of a baseline for the video card, as I just
added it about 6 weeks ago (formally using the integrated MB
display). So I'm a bit fresh with this card, and am uncertain if it's
resources are being utilized as best they can or should be? Is it
normal to have so little GUI usage? I don't render 3D, but do high2K
or 4k outputs.

I'd noticed little or no GUI usage on other rendering programs (GoPro & Dashware) prior
to the fresh install.

I've included a few resource screen shots and a DxDiag. Thanks!
[Thumb - SCREEN~2.jpg]
 Filename
SCREEN~2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
while producing video
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag jan 25 21.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
138 time(s)
[Thumb - SCREEN~3.jpg]
 Filename
SCREEN~3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
180 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like you only have it set to decode which is in pref. On the produce page, tick the "Hardware video encoder" to use during encoding if your produce profile and timeline content permit, you will see encoding use in your monitoring task.

Jeff
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Looks like you only have it set to decode which is in pref. On the produce page, tick the "Hardware video encoder" to use during encoding if your produce profile and timeline content permit, you will see encoding use in your monitoring task.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. You were correct. It's a bit on me - for the first time I used the 'Profile Analyzer' - and let it select the settings. Normaly, I select the output rez, ect myself. It it changed the etting to SVRT!

I just ran the same production, with Hardware Video Encoder' enabled, and BOOM!!

I'll also post my settings from PD below.
[Thumb - Screenshot (10).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (10).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot (11).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (11).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
138 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
David_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Looks like you only have it set to decode which is in pref. On the produce page, tick the "Hardware video encoder" to use during encoding if your produce profile and timeline content permit, you will see encoding use in your monitoring task.

Jeff

Here's what I've enabled through PD settnigs:
[Thumb - Screenshot (8).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (8).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
852 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot (7).png]
 Filename
Screenshot (7).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
856 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks, Jeff. You were correct. It's a bit on me - for the first time I used the 'Profile Analyzer' - and let it select the settings. Normaly, I select the output rez, ect myself. It it changed the etting to SVRT!

I just ran the same production, with Hardware Video Encoder' enabled, and BOOM!!

I'll also post my settings from PD below.

Yes, that's how the "Profile Analyzer" works. If an acceptable profile can be generated for your timeline, PD will use this profile and the SVRT technology. This basically copies portions of the video that don't need to be encoded and only encodes sections that need it, like transitions, titles,....so on.

SVRT sounds really good in principal and would be if it functioned as stated. Often it will leave slight audio blips when it transitions to encode area vs SVRT area and also has had an issue of back tracking frames during transitions. Not all users have the same quality expectations so some users like it, others don't. Suitability in the eye of the editor.

Looks like the change suggested gave you the GPU loading you were looking for.

Jeff