Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD365, new computer, new GPU
AndreVS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Netherlands Joined: Sep 27, 2016 05:14 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I am using Powerdirector365. (director suite) (W10) Often I edit and render movies of 30-45 minutes. (now 1920x1080, 50i, but in the near future probably 4K) At this moment I am ordering a new computer which I want to be fast (within a reasonable price, budget EUR 3000). My old one is already 7years old. Because everyone is telling me you do not need a superfast GPU for rendering with editing software, I am thinking of ordering a not to fast GPU. I was advised to install a MSI Geforce GTX 1660Ti Armor 6G 0C (almost best in ITS class, I think). In stead I ordered for the speed the newest AMD Ryzen 9 5900X . Other important parts are: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Gb memory, Gigabyte X570 Aorus MASTER - ATX, SSD Samsung Pro 1TB M4 for editing and SSD Crucial MX500 2TB for my progs. Also 2 x WD Gold Pro 6TB HDD

Do you think it is advisable to buy a faster GPU and perhaps someone knows one which has a reasonable price.
I do not play games, so I do not need it for that purpose. Or will the GTX 1660Ti be fast enough
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Your CPU is great and will have the single biggest impact on editing.

Since you don't game, you only need to worry about having the proper video encoding hardware and there's no point in buying the "top of the line" version of any compatible video card because PD won't use any of the extra resources at all.

Take a look at this nVidia chart and select any of the cards with solid green out into H.265, starting with the GTX1050. Any of those card will be great, and the Turing cards (starting with the GTX1650 Max-Q) will give you the most opportunities, especially if Cyberlink ever utilizes their specific hardware improvements.

I have the RTX 2070 because it was the lowest end RTX card at the time, but now the 2060 is out and costs even less.

In my opinion, there's no need to overthink this. Get the fastest CPU you can afford with the cheapest GPU that supports H.265 encoding and you should be a happy editor.
AndreVS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Netherlands Joined: Sep 27, 2016 05:14 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Your CPU is great and will have the single biggest impact on editing.

Since you don't game, you only need to worry about having the proper video encoding hardware and there's no point in buying the "top of the line" version of any compatible video card because PD won't use any of the extra resources at all.

Take a look at this nVidia chart and select any of the cards with solid green out into H.265, starting with the GTX1050. Any of those card will be great, and the Turing cards (starting with the GTX1650 Max-Q) will give you the most opportunities, especially if Cyberlink ever utilizes their specific hardware improvements.

I have the RTX 2070 because it was the lowest end RTX card at the time, but now the 2060 is out and costs even less.

In my opinion, there's no need to overthink this. Get the fastest CPU you can afford with the cheapest GPU that supports H.265 encoding and you should be a happy editor.

Great thanks so much
kind regards, André