Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing .H264 cctv footage
Dutchman1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2021 15:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have got this program in order to edit CCTV footge.

My CCTV produces a .H264 file which is 15fps at 1080.

I can not get this imported into powerdirector. The only way i have found is to use screen recorder. This is long winded.

Does anyone know how to overcome this problem.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
To really help we'd need to have a sample clip. Pick one and upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See this FAQ for more details.

The other option would be to use a free converter app like Handbrake to convert the clips to a format that PD can import.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
The issue may be that 15fps frame rate you report. Video editors generally work with 25fps (PAL) or 29.97/30fps (NTSC), some variation - eg for smart phones - generally acceptable. But 15fps is half what would usually be expected: PD18 starts at 24fps and can go as high as 60fps. 15fps is way too low.

So, why not run that clip thru handbrake and set the output for either 25 or 30fps depending on where you are located and have PD installed for (look in preferences/general page, the timeline frame rate item near the top). What handbrake will do is add frames to make up the difference - and from the look of it that's close to 1 for 1 in your original clip. There would have to be some impact on the imagery, but a spec frame rate should allow you to import to PD and edit.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The issue may be that 15fps frame rate you report. Video editors generally work with 25fps (PAL) or 29.97/30fps (NTSC), some variation - eg for smart phones - generally acceptable. But 15fps is half what would usually be expected: PD18 starts at 24fps and can go as high as 60fps. 15fps is way too low.

Not really, depends on what type of footage. Many CCTV footage is captured at low framerate as it's typically preventative footage. I've edited many such low framerate sources in PD, but also find some systems use some "proprietary" tweaks and only their player supports. In such cases I've had to convert, often Handbrake will work.

As optodata suggested, provide a sample to see how other users fair with the source footage or if HandBrake reads, convert.

PD18 will even allow one to create 15fps clips, among many others, as pic shows.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_framerate.png]
 Filename
PD18_framerate.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
658 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Dutchman1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2021 15:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Tried handbrake it did convert but made it spped up. So just compressed the 15fps so that 15frames was less than a second.

Also wiped the audio file from the CCTV

This is what i have to work with

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KzUPGyHqVevZxIN9VCMbDuN3wcfks1nt/view?usp=sharing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Tried handbrake it did convert but made it spped up. So just compressed the 15fps so that 15frames was less than a second.

Also wiped the audio file from the CCTV

Thanks for sharing the clip. ".H264" is not a supported PD container, and MediaInfo (the most-used app on the forum for examining clips) shows there is no audio track.

That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that it's not present in a detectable format:

Same thing with Handbrake. It can't detect any audio track so it can't give you one on your converted clip.

You can get a valid MP4 out if you use the correct settings, and I've attached the custom profile and a converted clip. Note that Handbrake used the same frame rate as the source, and MediaInfo shows that the converted clip is actually 24fps, not 15. As you can see above, there's no frame rate setting detected in the source clip.

Does the cctv manufacturer provide any software? If so, they may have an easy way to convert their clips to a standard MP4 container.
 Filename
Dutchman1.json
[Disk]
 Description
custom Handbrake profile
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
110 time(s)
 Filename
Dutchman1 reencode.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
converted clip (no audio)
 Filesize
2015 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
95 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Dutchman1, I too could not detect any viable audio stream in your attached clip with several different utilities. I also don't believe the mp4 conversion of optodata. The clip is not really 23.976fps so the true speed is not right, I believe you will need to slow it down by 15/23.976 for proper speed in PD.

Just curious, are all your clips from this CCTV like this, even if you have say 30 sec worth or so or something unique to this one clip?

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I also don't believe the mp4 conversion of optodata. The clip is not really 23.976fps ...

I'm not sure there's anything for you to believe or disbelieve about my findings. There are what I found.

If you suspect that the source clip is 15fps, then for some reason Handbrake converted file to 24fps even though the profile was set to match the source clip frame rate. There's no uncertainty that the converted clip is 24fps, so the only questions are where that frame rate came from and whether or not it matches the source clip.

Hopefully more clips from OP or news about the camera manufacturer conversion providing a viewer/converter will give us more info.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm not sure there's anything for you to believe or disbelieve about my findings. There are what I found.

If you suspect that the source clip is 15fps, then for some reason Handbrake converted file to 24fps even though the profile was set to match the source clip frame rate. There's no uncertainty that the converted clip is 24fps, so the only questions are where that frame rate came from and whether or not it matches the source clip.

Hopefully more clips from OP or news about the camera manufacturer conversion providing a viewer/converter will give us more info.

I realize they simply are what you found. I don't believe that HandBrake handled the file correctly either, i.e., so the mp4 created simply does not represent intent of the raw file, that's all.

Yes, obviously several programs struggling to properly handle this raw footage, especially if it's supposed to have audio, and very possible only proper solution might be if the vendor supplies a utility. In lieu of that, I simply suggested OP probably needs to adjust the speed of the clip by the ratio I gave to more accurately represent the real raw file intent timing.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2021 20:36

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The source clip plays properly in WMP at >4<5 sec. I converted the source video to 1080/30p constant frame rate earlier with handbrake. Using VLC, play, pause, frame advance, see every 5th frame is the same as the 4th one. 4/5 x 30 = 24. Windows properties: 5 sec. 1916 x 1078 30f/s. Mediainfo of the converted file: 5.767 seconds. ⅘ x 5.767 = 4.60. This matches the source clip time of 4.6 seconds. Handbrake did not convert the time length of the file properly. It increased it.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The source clip plays properly in WMP at >4<5 sec. I converted the source video to 1080/30p constant frame rate earlier with handbrake. Using VLC, play, pause, frame advance, see every 5th frame is the same as the 4th one. 4/5 x 30 = 24. Windows properties: 5 sec. 1916 x 1078 30f/s. Mediainfo of the converted file: 5.767 seconds. ⅘ x 5.767 = 4.60. This matches the source clip time of 4.6 seconds. Handbrake did not convert the time length of the file properly. It increased it.

Not sure, probably need more guidance from the OP. For me, I don't believe WMP playback is correct either for the file, it's too fast judging by the cars speed on my playback. The WMP reported 4-5sec being correct duration also appears possibly incorrect. If you look at the CCTV timecode, one needs to have somewhere in the vicinity of almost 9 sec, 17:35:06-17:35:15, not the 4-5 sec being reported.

A longer timed clip and the CCTV hardware details may help provide guidance on a proper conversion for the video with no audio.

Jeff