Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen Recorder 4 Not Recording Audio
asainart23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2020 20:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to record clips from different videos and I can't get any audio to record with the screen recording. All the settings say that my speakers are set to record but nothing is showing up when I look at the file. I thought it was the type of video I was recording so I tried other video sources and it still does the same thing.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
See if this discussion helps.
asainart23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2020 20:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote See if this discussion helps.

Unfortunately, I'm having the exact opposite problem.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure how the problems are opposite when both wouldn't record audio, and also you can't choose "speakers" as a recording device.

Please take a screenshot of the main Screen Recorder4 screen and also the Video and Audio preferences menus. Use Alt+PrintScreen keys or Windows key+Shift+S to take a snapshot, then save each as a JPG or PNG.

Use the Attachments button below the forum text box to upload and share them here so we can see what you're trying to do.
SuperSherlock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2021 15:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am trying to record clips from different videos and I can't get any audio to record with the screen recording. All the settings say that my speakers are set to record but nothing is showing up when I look at the file. I thought it was the type of video I was recording so I tried other video sources and it still does the same thing.

I had the same issue (Win 10 PC) but I figured out what the problem was: Screen Recorder gets locked onto whatever the STARTING audio OUTPUT DEVICE is rather than the system audio output. For example, a common issue would be when you start monitoring a video and audio stream with your headphones but then switch the audio output to speakers or even to another device. This will cause the screen recorder, for some reason, to no longer record audio. Switching back to the original audio output devices will reconnect screen recorder to the proper audio in signal.

To get the complete audio output of a video stream you must use the screen recorder with the same audio output device. If you switch devices, even for a second, you will get no audio input for the time period you switched audio output devices.

You can do the experiment yourself. Go to a YouTube video with a musical countdown. Start the recorder at the top, then at a precise time stamp, switch output audio devices, then at another time stame, switch back, and so on until you get bored with the experiment. Then play back the recorded video and you will hear the audio drop out every time you switch to a different audio output device. And sound will continue to be on-and-off according to however you paced your output switching.

It is a highly counterintuitive quirk in the programming. The audio output device seems to determine audio input to the screen recorder.
adrem681 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 05, 2023 04:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've been all over the forums to solve this. Tried everything. Then I typed in Control Panel in the search box of Windows 11 and saw the old Control Panel that Windows 7 started with. I double clicked Sound. Then switched to the Recording tab. And there it was. A greyed out option Stereo Mix, from Realtek. I enabled it. Then I went back to the audio settings in the SR4 program itself. I set microphone to Stereo Mix. And it worked. I had sound.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem after installing a fresh copy of Windows 11 last year on my pc on a new drive. There is no Stereo Mix available in the Windows supplied driver so I installed the realtek generic driver and enabled the Stereo Mix. It keeps defaulting to Microphone after each daily shutdown and startup. I have to enable it each time I want to use it.

It was not this way on my Windows 10 upgraded to Windows 11 before. It is like that now after installing and using a fresh generic copy of Windows 11 from Microsoft. You win some, you lose some. The OEM version of Windows has problems with the OEM supplied drivers that are not in the fresh copy of generic Windows 11 installed but have different problems.

You do whatever you have to do.