Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I fine-adjust the volume of audio fades?
Tomas E [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 07, 2019 11:51 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
After adding an audio fade at the beginning, the fade I want to add at the end always starts at +0,1. No matter how hard I try to adjust it with the pointer I will never go to 0,0. It's either +0,1 or -0,2 or something like that.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Open the Audio room (F5), and type the number for the track of interest while on the keyframe of interest. Some numbers are not permitted as PD references this dB scale back to an old linear scale. When that is the case, it will use a number "close" to what you entered.

Jeff
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Open the Audio room (F5), and type the number for the track of interest while on the keyframe of interest. Some numbers are not permitted as PD references this dB scale back to an old linear scale. When that is the case, it will use a number "close" to what you entered.

Jeff

Audio Mixing Room is F9, F5 is Video Overlay (PiP Objects) Room.

Don't know why but today when opening the file the indicator was showing +0,0 for some reason. I need to make some testing, erase the fades and try again to pinpoint when this occurs.

I'm sad to say doing the things you describe doesn't make anything happen so far. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
My error on the shortcut key, yes F9. Maybe this pic will help. Instead of a gradual fade I want a steep fade followed by gradual to the end of clip. I want to set the selected audio control point to -10dB.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD18_Audio.png]
 Filename
PD18_Audio.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
400 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
One other thing to keep in mind is that adjustments of 0.0dB, 0.1dB and 0.2dB are imperceptable to human hearing.

As Jeff said, the scale isn't actually in dB but the settings map to the logarithmic scale where 3dB is approximately 0.5 or 2x the sound energy, and that translates into a barely noticible decrease/increase in perceived sound. You need to change the level 10dB to halve/double the perceived volume, which is why you can ignore the tenths for most purposes.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you both! I see that you understand my problem.

When using my DAW however it's possible to make volume adjustments by 0,01 units. Let's say I have a "volume line" or what ever it's called, like the one in PD:s audio track. Then, if I click anywhere on that line in an audio track in my DAW I get an identical value of the previous one. That is, if the volume is set to -5,61 then this new value also becomes -5,61 and noting else, unless I've inserted some other value earlier or later in the timeline, which would indicate that a fade is present, either before or after that point. I know that a difference of 0,1 probably is not audible, but it confuses things since I then need to check whether I've put in some volume changes, by accident or not, prior or after the erroneous one.

I attach two pictures.
[Thumb - Volume 2.png]
 Filename
Volume 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
500 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Volume 1.png]
 Filename
Volume 1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, most programs allow fine control in dB. PD is not one of those because how CL implemented the dB adjustment. This post and contained link in the thread expose the history and why, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77981.page#post_box_319527

Your easiest method is to use the Audio room as indicated prior. With the audio room open, just move the scrubber along the timeline and you will see any region that have a deviation from 0dB and can make adjustment in the Audio room at the audio control point that initiated that change.

Jeff
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

With the audio room open, just move the scrubber along the timeline and you will see any region that have a deviation from 0dB and can make adjustment in the Audio room at the audio control point that initiated that change.

Jeff

That might be the best way, thanks.

I've also discovered that since I use my DAW to make most of the audio, and then with frame time as my time indicator, it's easy to find the exact spot where to sync audio and video. If I make all fades beforehand I just need to import the audio file into PD and drag it to where it should be. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote One other thing to keep in mind is that adjustments of 0.0dB, 0.1dB and 0.2dB are imperceptable to human hearing.

As Jeff said, the scale isn't actually in dB but the settings map to the logarithmic scale where 3dB is approximately 0.5 or 2x the sound energy, and that translates into a barely noticible decrease/increase in perceived sound. You need to change the level 10dB to halve/double the perceived volume, which is why you can ignore the tenths for most purposes.

Good to know!

However I don't understand why they've chosen to use a different dB-scale that the standard one. Normally an increase of 3dB is equal to the double volume.

There are really some improvents in this matter that should be taken care of. One can only hope.