Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I copy and paste a portion of a video clip?
Tomas E [Avatar]
Member Joined: Nov 07, 2019 11:51 Messages: 81 Offline
[Post New]
I've searched and searched and searched in the manual, but can't figure out how to copy a portion of a video clip and paste it into another track. How is this done?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've searched and searched and searched in the manual, but can't figure out how to copy a portion of a video clip and paste it into another track. How is this done?

You can't.

You'll have to trim the unwanted parts either before or after you've copied the clip and pasted it on another track. If it's a Media Libray clip, you can use the Precut tool then drag just the desired section to the timeline.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

You can't.

You'll have to trim the unwanted parts either before or after you've copied the clip and pasted it on another track. If it's a Media Libray clip, you can use the Precut tool then drag just the desired section to the timeline.

Okay, thanks!

I'll give it a try and see which method I prefer.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
When creating one clip at a time with the Precut tool, only the last clip is saved, am I right? That's what happened anyway.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2020 15:51

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you're on the Single Trim tab. You want Multi Trim:

Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
The downside is that you can't choose the exact lenght for each clip in Multi Trim. On the other hand it should work to adjust it in the track after putting them there, shorten them a bit if needed.
optodata
[Post New]
You can trim it further on the timeline or you can zoom in as needed and trim the starting & ending positions to the frame if you want:

The Help file is a good place to find the full capabilities of any tool. The link to Trimming a Video Clip on the Precutting page will show you all the details.
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm starting to get the hang of it now. It's a bit of a tedious process, but I hope I won't be needing it too much.
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've searched and searched and searched in the manual, but can't figure out how to copy a portion of a video clip and paste it into another track. How is this done?

You actually can do this using range selection, but the pasting will be on the same track, which you can then just move down to another track. Just move the timeline scrubber to the right of the project and paste. See attached clips. Hope that helps.

Ash
[Thumb - range3.jpg]
 Filename
range3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
746 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - range2.jpg]
 Filename
range2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
710 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - range1.jpg]
 Filename
range1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
712 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2020 19:46

optodata
[Post New]
That's really wonderful! All these years using PD and the only time I ever used Range Select was to produce a section of a project.

Thanks for sharing this sealed
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]

You actually can do this using range selection, but the pasting will be on the same track, which you can then just move down to another track. Just move the timeline scrubber to the right of the project and paste. See attached clips. Hope that helps.

Ash

Great! Thanks! cool
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That is a great solution by AshWilliams. Years ago I would do splits, copy, and paste but that is not the question from the OP. sealed
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Most thread topics discussed in this forum are not new and have been discussed previously, except for patch/release discussions which often change behavior or cause new issues. Most threads just new users finding their way and/or senile moments for others. Range select and copy/paste has been available since at least PD8 and discussed prior, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21249.page#post_box_113055

A neat system would be a AI driven help system that could easily track validated info from various sources and present to user while continuously learning, the forum search is not too good, online help system and searching not too good, Learning Center video clips and searching not too good, CL CS not too good, basically an extension of the growing AI Service Desks model. Until then, I guess forum contributors provide the functionality.

Jeff
Tomas E [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Most thread topics discussed in this forum are not new and have been discussed previously, except for patch/release discussions which often change behavior or cause new issues. Most threads just new users finding their way and/or senile moments for others. Range select and copy/paste has been available since at least PD8 and discussed prior, https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21249.page#post_box_113055

A neat system would be a AI driven help system that could easily track validated info from various sources and present to user while continuously learning, the forum search is not too good, online help system and searching not too good, Learning Center video clips and searching not too good, CL CS not too good, basically an extension of the growing AI Service Desks model. Until then, I guess forum contributors provide the functionality.

Jeff

Thanks for your link.

However, at this forum the rule is not to search but to start a new topic instead. This is a quote from a PM from the PowerDirector Moderator which I recieved after making my first posts in this forum.

"It is highly advisable to start a new topic, in the most appropriate forum to have the best chance of helping members help you. Posting in a 4 year old topic about an older version is not the most effective way to get a solution."

Since I don't want to be considered a spammer or any other category of unwanted members, I follow his advise.

-----

I agree that this forum could be much better in the ways you describe.

Well, enough about this OT. PowerDirector 19 Ultimate, Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz
32 GB RAM
optodata
[Post New]
Quote However, at this forum the rule is not to search but to start a new topic instead.

I think you slightly misunderstood the directive.

My understanding is that users are encouraged to search for existing topics before blindly posting, and are then enouraged to start a new topic if their question hasn't already been answered rather than replying to a post from many versions ago.

You didn't do anything wrong here!