Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sound loss with each edit
Larry Shouse [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 07, 2020 16:04 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I have Powerdirector 18 ultra for PC, it is the disc version. I have produced a few movies now with no issues. Now, with my latest project each time I edit a clip I lose sound for the entire project. The only way I can regain sound is to close the project and then re-open it. I have pulled up past projects and edited them again and get the same result so it is not related to the current project. Audio works during this time on all other files on the PC so it isn't the laptop. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Have a look at the various suggestions in this discussion. It's likely that one of them is occuring on your system.
Larry Shouse [Avatar]
[Post New]
I appreciate the link but my issue is unique from all of those. My volume works fine when I open any give project but as soon as I edit anything or even let it sit idle for a few minutes the volume disappears from the entire movie. Only way I can get it back is to close the project and reopen which isnt viable.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You wrote that in your OP but that doesn't line up with any behavior I can think of.

If you made a screen recording, uploaded it to YouTube and shared the link here that might give us a better idea of what's going on.
Larry Shouse [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am uploading the latest video now which I feel will be fine once uploaded. Even when i cant hear the sound i can go to the audio room and you can see the sound bar moving up and down with the audio but no sound. I can close the project and reopen and I have sound again. Only thing I know is to uninstall the program and reinstall
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Is there anything different about the audio format that you're using on this project? This feels like a compatibility issue.
Larry Shouse [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nothing has changed that I am aware of. I literally created the entire movie over several days with no issues, then opened it back up to make some last minute edits and this started happening. How do I check that?
optodata
[Post New]
Have you made and uploaded a screen recording? If you have, paste the link to it here so we can see exactly what you're doing, how PD is responding, and what happens after you quit and restart PD.
pmikep [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Nov 26, 2016 22:51 Messages: 285 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like PD is switching in to Non-Realtime Preview, since he can see the sound bars move, but doesn't hear anything.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It sounds like PD is switching in to Non-Realtime Preview, since he can see the sound bars move, but doesn't hear anything.

Sound bars don't move when Non-Real time Preview is used.

I'd suspect more the laptop sound settings, the movie of the issue as well as opening the sound mixer and settings input/output when this occurs could shed some insight. I suspect playing on a device that's not active.

Jeff
Mike729 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2020 10:24 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've been experiencing a problem which I believe is related to the one described here.

I have a PowerDirector 365 subscription, and the problem only showed up for me with the most recent release.

When I edit a video - any video, any project - at some random point after I've been working on it, I'll see these behaviors:

1. When I click "play" in the preview window, the video plays at a higher speed, with no sound

2. When I click "play" in the preview window, the video plays at a normal speed, with no sound

Maybe once in a while I can get the video to play normally by clicking around on different things and then trying again. But most of the time I have to exit the program and reload it.

I've never seen this problem prior to the most release update of PD. I'm confident that the problem is in PD somewhere.

Please help!
optodata
[Post New]
Just like with OP, a screen recording showing what's going on would really be helpful. So far there isn't anything for forum members to review and try to understand what might be happening.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2020 19:07

Mike729 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Just like with OP, a screen recording showing what's going on would really be helpful. So far there isn't anything for forum members to review and try to understand what might be happening.

I've now attached a video demonstrating the problem. I was hoping to show the program working correctly and then failing, but it's unpredictable when the problem will occur and so I was only able to capture the program once it started misbehaving.

Please note the following:

1. Everything was working fine - I could see and hear the video in the preview window properly - until suddenly it wasn't

2. What you'll see in the video is that when I click the "play" button, the video plays at fast speed and with no sound

3. I also noticed, right before the problem started happening, that when I tried to move a timeline marker it left behind a thin blue vertical bar. I believe that's visible in the video as well.

4. You'll see in the video that I click pause and then play to demonstrate that I'm not clicking the fast-forward button

Defect?
 Filename
20201223113045.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Video demonstrating preview play problem
 Filesize
41776 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks very much for the recording, but unfortunately there's no audio at all so we can't know what's happening:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2020 13:56

Mike729 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks very much for the recording, but unfortunately there's no audio at all so we can't know what's happening:

That's the point! There is no audio. You can see my mouse movements and clicks, so you know what I was doing. But there's nothing to hear because PD isn't playing the audio.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2020 14:23

optodata
[Post New]
OK, but there isn't anywhere that shows that the sound was working and then randomly stopped. There are many reasons why PD may not give you sound. Did you run through the list I linked to in my first post in this thread?

Unless you can capture the actual sequence where everything is working with sound and then suddenly there's no sound, it's very unlikely that forum users will be able to help. I understand that it's hit or miss, so you may need to leave the screen recorder on continuously and then trim it to 20-30 sec before and after the sound cuts out.

Something else to consider is when the sound drops, leave the recorder running and click on the speaker icon in the Windows tray so we can see the active audio device. Then go to Start > Settings > System > Sound > Advanced sound options | App volume and device preferences and show us which device PD is using.