Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Missing functionality in the latest upgrade
[Post New]
I just got the new upgrade and I must say my initial response is not good. First thing I noticed is the trash can button is missing. When I am making cuts on a clip there is no way to delete the unused pieces without going through a clunky menu, or getting my keyboard out. What?! Maybe I am missing something? I looked for a setting but no avail.

Also the clip/movie button is gone from the preview. Now when I click stop, it only goes back to the end of the clip. I can see no way to switch it back & forth as we used to. Again... maybe I am overlooking a setting?

There are other things missing but those are the 2 major problems so far. The clunky interface has ruined any semblance of a workflow.

I understand that there is always an adjustment period to get used to 'improvements' but these 2 were poorly thought out. Can we get a toggle to put them back? https://www.youtube.com/c/titotimtravels
AshWilliams [Avatar]
Member Location: Michigan Joined: Mar 28, 2013 23:38 Messages: 109 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

When cutting clips, are you using the split function to make two cuts and then selecting the clip to delete? Instead why not try using range selection to select the part that you want to cut out. Once you select it, it is one click to copy, cut or delete. So maybe faster than your previous way.

For the scrubber going back to the beginning of the video, you can just click the pause button instead of the stop button. (Or just press the spacebar if get that keyboard out).

Just some alternatives that may help you in the long run hopefully.

Ash
designer_nia [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2020 19:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using the free trial version of PowerDirector for a few days. I just upgraded my license to a paid version of PowerDirector365. I opened the project that I have been working on, and I noticed that particles (flares) and transitions (credit scenes) are missing. Also, when I open the project, I receive an error (see attached for screenshot). This is very frustrating, as I was working on a time sensistive file.

Note: I uninstalled the trial before installing the paid version.
[Thumb - PowerDirector Error 12022020.JPG]
 Filename
PowerDirector Error 12022020.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screenshot - Media file error
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Post New]
But the pause button will still not make the scrubber go back to the beginning of the movie. Or let me select movie/clip. We used to be able to select movie or clip, now there is no selection option. From reading other threads it appears your settings at the time of the upgrade is what you have - some are on clip, some on movie. Very odd. Has to have been a mistake. Oh, even better... I just noticed that some projects 'stop' at clip, some at movie. I have not started a new project so do not know what is default, but each project is different? They really screwed the pooch on that ha ha

As for the trash can, how could they remove such a normal, and useful, button?
[Post New]
Quote ...and I noticed that particles (flares) and transitions (credit scenes) are missing. Also, when I open the project, I receive an error...

Unfortunately that is a common problem after an update. It seems that they either move or rename some of the parts - and the program can no longer find them. You have to go through all the windows to find where it got moved (if it is still available) and put it back in place. Very frustrating, and unfortunately very common.

I made a template for my vids, and every couple upgrades I have to go through the saved template and 'fix' everything they moved.

I am so tired of the 'upgrades' I am almost to the point of cancelling my 365 subscription and go back to my paid for ver 16. There is very little I would miss...
designer_nia [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2020 19:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, Tito-Tim! I figured out what was going on for most of my issues. I needed to install multiple effect packs to find the missing pieces.

However, your advice does not fall on deaf ears. I will think about adopting your approach in the future.

Good luck to you. Hopefully the update process will get better.

Unfortunately that is a common problem after an update. It seems that they either move or rename some of the parts - and the program can no longer find them. You have to go through all the windows to find where it got moved (if it is still available) and put it back in place. Very frustrating, and unfortunately very common.

I made a template for my vids, and every couple upgrades I have to go through the saved template and 'fix' everything they moved.

I am so tired of the 'upgrades' I am almost to the point of cancelling my 365 subscription and go back to my paid for ver 16. There is very little I would miss...
[Post New]
Quote I have been using the free trial version of PowerDirector for a few days. I just upgraded my license to a paid version of PowerDirector365. I opened the project that I have been working on, and I noticed that particles (flares) and transitions (credit scenes) are missing. Also, when I open the project, I receive an error (see attached for screenshot). This is very frustrating, as I was working on a time sensistive file.

Note: I uninstalled the trial before installing the paid version.

Just installed the related content packs to solve this problem, looks like the Essential version includes some templates for people to try are not in the main program of full version.
ROC1929 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2020 08:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just got the new upgrade and I must say my initial response is not good. First thing I noticed is the trash can button is missing. When I am making cuts on a clip there is no way to delete the unused pieces without going through a clunky menu, or getting my keyboard out. What?! Maybe I am missing something? I looked for a setting but no avail.

Also the clip/movie button is gone from the preview. Now when I click stop, it only goes back to the end of the clip. I can see no way to switch it back & forth as we used to. Again... maybe I am overlooking a setting?

There are other things missing but those are the 2 major problems so far. The clunky interface has ruined any semblance of a workflow.

I understand that there is always an adjustment period to get used to 'improvements' but these 2 were poorly thought out. Can we get a toggle to put them back?

I notice the clip/movie button seems to arbitrarily switch itself, movie seem to be the default. In one of the pull-down menus ( I forget which one, "view" or "preview" maybe) up top you can select movie or clip too if the buttons in that window aren't there or working.
[Post New]

I notice the clip/movie button seems to arbitrarily switch itself, movie seem to be the default. In one of the pull-down menus ( I forget which one, "view" or "preview" maybe) up top you can select movie or clip too if the buttons in that window aren't there or working.
Oh they crammed it up in the Preview menu. The trash can is also buried in a menu... a simple button was a bad thing? What a ridiculous couple of changes ha ha

Hey, I am just glad you pointed out where it was. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/c/titotimtravels
tarutledge007# [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2017 11:47 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

See if this helps, it worked for me. The movie/clip buttons are gone, but you can use the square button instead. If you have a clip highlighted, hitting the square button will send you back to the start of the clip, If no clips are highlighted (you might have to click out in the gray space to clear any selections) then hitting the square button sends you back to the start of the movie. Let me know if that works.
[Post New]
Quote I just got the new upgrade and I must say my initial response is not good. First thing I noticed is the trash can button is missing. When I am making cuts on a clip there is no way to delete the unused pieces without going through a clunky menu, or getting my keyboard out. What?! Maybe I am missing something? I looked for a setting but no avail.

I understand that there is always an adjustment period to get used to 'improvements' but these 2 were poorly thought out. Can we get a toggle to put them back?

I agree that Cyberlink has rmade things more difficult. However, there might be workarounds. If you just want to preview a clip, you can turn on keyframe for that clip and the preview will only play that clip. It is silly to have removed the Clip/Movie option from the preview controls. Paul C
Erickv17 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2021 16:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Missing the Trash Can Button. Let me know if there's a way to get it back.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I imagine it's gone unless enough people write to CL to ask them to restore it in a future release.

I've never even noticed it, much less used it, but the same functionality comes from hitting the the Del key or by right-clicking on a clip and choosing one of the Remove options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2021 18:44

ZC65 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 17, 2015 03:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Yea, I was tricked into thinking newer is better. I will be letting my subscription expire and will return to using PD15. Screw this. I lost half of my favorite effects like the ability to crop a video. All the old effects sets are just gone with new "childish" looking stuff in its place.

The trash can is an experience breaker. It is ten times more of a pain to delete chunks of clips now. I don't want to "scrub" or crop out sections. I split it manually and frequently, I want to just click and go, rather than having to deal with a ton of drop down menus. I shouldn't have to take my right hand off my mouse each and every time and try to find the delete key in the dark to do it.

The greed of these companies as well, forcing SUBSCRIPTIONS is ridiculous too. They cut out the review portion of each release. Rather than seeing what has been added and deciding if I want to upgrade this year or give it another year and wait for the next version, they just eliminate that with "updates". Under the hood, nothing has really changed with this program in at least 8 years. These "updates" are usually just stupid effects to make the video look like a kids video from the 80s.