Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PD8 capable of doing these things??
Misty Tara [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Oct 09, 2009 16:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I need help deciding which program can do the things I want to do. I'm doing the trials, just started, but since I'm so new to this it takes me a while to figure out the best way to do things. I'm doing home movies, and I envision doing two things in particular. One is I want to be able to zoom into a face and put the face (snap pic) into a frame or shape and move it. Pinnacle does this with their Creative Pack Add Ons (possibly otherwise, too) The Winter Pack, ornaments. This shows a still being encased in a Xmas ornament, while turning a 360, more orn's joining it all turning in a circle. It also does something similar in Prem.Pk wedding2, where the scene is captured and turns into a framed moving object, transitions, I believe. However Pinnacle seems to be limited to doing it only their way. I've never seen anything quite like them in the other programs, although some Vegas Pro tutorials looks like it can be done, but the cost! The other thing I want to do is have 3 or 4 videos overlapping (faded edges) at the same time, but not in squares or split screen etc. More like a video montage, probably using masks. I am really hoping PD can do it Ple-e-ease, can you help me? Misty Tara
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Misty -

It'd be worth having a look at the tutorials to see what PD can do http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CyberLinkChannel#grid/uploads

... especially, for your purposes, the one on Power Tools (for zooming etc) at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CyberLinkChannel#p/search/0/ZYQb64wjqwY

... and PIP Designer at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CyberLinkChannel#p/search/0/ZYQb64wjqwY

From your description, it seems to me that PD could do all that - but I don't know a way of softening the edges of overlapped clips in the way you want. You can add a border and blur it - you can apply masks - but it won't look like I imagine you imagine.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Pekka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 21, 2008 15:05 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I need help deciding which program can do the things I want to do. I'm doing the trials, just started, but since I'm so new to this it takes me a while to figure out the best way to do things. I'm doing home movies, and I envision doing two things in particular. One is I want to be able to zoom into a face and put the face (snap pic) into a frame or shape and move it. Pinnacle does this with their Creative Pack Add Ons (possibly otherwise, too) The Winter Pack, ornaments. This shows a still being encased in a Xmas ornament, while turning a 360, more orn's joining it all turning in a circle. It also does something similar in Prem.Pk wedding2, where the scene is captured and turns into a framed moving object, transitions, I believe. However Pinnacle seems to be limited to doing it only their way. I've never seen anything quite like them in the other programs, although some Vegas Pro tutorials looks like it can be done, but the cost! The other thing I want to do is have 3 or 4 videos overlapping (faded edges) at the same time, but not in squares or split screen etc. More like a video montage, probably using masks. I am really hoping PD can do it Ple-e-ease, can you help me?

That is some hard core home video editing. Shouldn't you jump on the semi-pro side with these tricks? You can always work on your video shooting skills to take the best advance on the tools as they are pretty good even on PD 7...
Misty Tara [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony and Pekka, Thanks so much for answering me. I am so tired of watching tuts and reading the info on many forums, I really wanted input from experienced users. I'm continuing my testing. I guess I need to know if I can import 3d objects to use for my ball, or whatever shape I decide to use. Can I put a snapshot on a rotating object OR even if is it possible to use transitions with some trickery. I appreciate your time, I was beginning to think I wouldn't get a reply. Misty Tara
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Misty Tara -

The tutorials and posts in forums give generalised information on "how to" (by experienced users) and responses to specific questions (by experienced users).

Your question is not very specific, so it's difficult to give a specific answer.

Are you trying to stick people's faces on Christmas spinning ornaments? or what? or not?

If you have any experience of rendering 3D objects, you might be able to import that into PD (in an appropriate format).

More information would help.

Cheers - Tony

Misty Tara [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry, I was not specific enough, I'll try again. One effect I would love to do, is at this site http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Winter+Pack.htm , the transparent ball with the picture in it. I know it is a pre-programmed effect in Pinnacle, but can I do it, ie by importing 3-D, or by some other means? If anyone has done anything close, do you have an example? Do they sell these type of things for PD?

Thanks again, Tony

ps If I could get PD8 to stop dying on me, I might get something done. At this point I think it's my pc. Misty Tara
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi again Misty -

I had a look at the site... there is no instant answer for that in PD8, as far as I'm aware. What I mean is - there's no magic button you can click and have it done just like that.

That doesn't mean it's not possible, but it would take some work to have images rotating in perspective around the bauble.

Background video & slide show (it's very similar to the scrapbook and collage templates) - no problem.
Placing, sizing and tracking the images in the PIP tracks - no problem.
Making the images wrap around the sphere - now that would challenge me! (someone else may have some ideas)

If you were to modify your thinking and have the faces fade in and out of the rotating ornament (ie. in one position), that would be simple.

When I get a few hours, I'll try to fiddle with it. Sorry - I don't have an instant answer.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 19. 2009 01:22

babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Misty
Have you tried "Bluff titler". It has a trial version. You can do what is shown in your link and much more Cheers ! PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Misty Tara [Avatar]
[Post New]
Never heard of that one. Will check it out immediately, since PD8 keeps freezing. Thanks Misty Tara