Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Combine left and right audio
martinsolomon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2010 16:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there!

I'm recording myself playing guitar and singing. The Scarlet 2i2 I use has two microphones plugged in, one for voice, one for guitar. This puts voice on the left channel and guitar on the right.

So when I record myself using YouCam it comes out left and right just so. My question is, is there a quick way to combine the channels easily in PD365? I know I can copy and paste one channel over the other in Audio Director, but that doesn't combine the left and right, it just kills one or the other.

Thank you for any hints.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not as in a one step process that I know of, but rather simple. Several approaches, but I'd right click on video in media library and extract audio, this will create a wav file. Use AD to copy right from wav file to video file audio and vice versa. You will now have two audio files with L/R singing, other with L/R guitar. Use both in PD and the audio mix during production will simply combine the two files and you will have normal stereo audio of voice and guitar.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2020 16:43

martinsolomon [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2010 16:17 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Not as in a one step process that I know of, but rather simple. Several approaches, but I'd right click on video in media library and extract audio, this will create a wav file. Use AD to copy right from wav file to video file audio and vice versa. You will now have two audio files with L/R singing, other with L/R guitar. Use both in PD and the audio mix during production will simply combine the two files and you will have normal stereo audio of voice and guitar.

Jeff

That seems to do the trick. Many thanks!
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Adding to what JL_JL showed
In this case, mono audio was created on channels L and R
If you want to work the mix better to have an effect, like Stereo Expander, it can be done in AudioDiretor. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Quote My question is, is there a quick way to combine the channels easily in PD365?

So when I understand the answers right, there is no way to do this in PD365 (without Audiodirector)? Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote So when I understand the answers right, there is no way to do this in PD365 (without Audiodirector)?

Not sure I understand your question correctly, maybe this will help.

If you only have a PD19 product and the embedded "Audio Editor" vs the "AudioDirector" product, no you cannot do it with Audio Editor. The older embedded editor, WaveEditor, yes you could do it, but when CL "upgraded" to Audio Editor, you can no longer do it. For such, one would do the same overall approach but with a free product like Audacity or similar.

The PD19 video editor by itself does not expose access to unique individual channels (L/R) of a audio file for editing.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2020 10:15

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
PD does not do this directly.
PD has Audio Editor, it does it in 2 steps.
Audio Editor, unfortunately it doesn't have Copy / Paste

To access it in the timeline, right click on the audio and select Audio Director.
Copy channel L to R (audio 1)
Copy the R channel to L (audio 2)
In PD, an audio placed under the other is mixed.

This video uses "Audio Director" similar process.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2020 10:46

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The OP has AudioDirector. Jeff posted a good way to do it Recently This post by SrUser shows a method that can be used to eliminate one of the needed steps used here: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11048.page . This combined and the original clip is all that is needed.
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not sure I understand your question correctly,

I'm having the normal PD365 subscription, no PD365 Suite, which just comes with (the really dissapointing and poor) Audio editor. A simple channel swap, channel combine (stereo 2 mono) or channel balance panning is not possible. Basic features for an audio editor. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm having the normal PD365 subscription, no PD365 Suite, which just comes with (the really dissapointing and poor) Audio editor. A simple channel swap, channel combine (stereo 2 mono) or channel balance panning is not possible. Basic features for an audio editor.

You can let CL know how you feel about Audio Editor by using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

You can let CL know how you feel about Audio Editor by using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions under PD's File menu.

Done. Is this also the place to inform CL about discovered bugs or not correct working tools, and/or should I also report such things here?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Done. Is this also the place to inform CL about discovered bugs or not correct working tools, and/or should I also report such things here?

If you think you've found any bugs, it's actually best to file an official report from CL's main support page.

You can also mention them here to confirm that other people see them; determine if they might be related to something specific with your system or your source clips; see if other members are aware of any workarounds; and let the community know what you found.
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]

If you think you've found any bugs, it's actually best to file an official report from CL's main support page.

You can also mention them here to confirm that other people see them; determine if they might be related to something specific with your system or your source clips; see if other members are aware of any workarounds; and let the community know what you found.

OK, will try to explain (difficult without screenshots) following also audio related issue. When I have an audio file in the timeline and go to the Audio Mixing room, I have the possibility to make an automatic (2sec) fade-in or fade-out for the track the audio is on the timeline at momentary position of the cursor. When cursor is at the start of the audio clip, clicking the fade-in button will create a correct 2 sec fade-in with 2 keyframes, but when the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the audio clip clicking the fade-in button will generate a jumpy fade-in with 3 keyframes. The fade-out button creates always correct fade outs with 2 keyframes nevertheless the position of the cursor on the timeline.
optodata
[Post New]
It's better if you start a new discussion for this issue.

You can take screenshots, save them as JPG or PNG and use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share them. If it's easier to show what's going on with a screen recording, use the bundled ScreenRecorder and upload the video to YouTube. You can set it to be unlisted so nobody without the link can see it if you want, then share the URL in the new thread.

You can also upload the MP4 to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link in the new thread. Please see this FAQ.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK, will try to explain (difficult without screenshots) following also audio related issue. When I have an audio file in the timeline and go to the Audio Mixing room, I have the possibility to make an automatic (2sec) fade-in or fade-out for the track the audio is on the timeline at momentary position of the cursor. When cursor is at the start of the audio clip, clicking the fade-in button will create a correct 2 sec fade-in with 2 keyframes, but when the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the audio clip clicking the fade-in button will generate a jumpy fade-in with 3 keyframes. The fade-out button creates always correct fade outs with 2 keyframes nevertheless the position of the cursor on the timeline.

Bug, not sure, might be just a misunderstanding on operation, I don't think it was ever intended to operate mid clip.

To me the operation is the same for fade in or out purpose
1) If the cursor is at the beginning or end of the clip you get a standard 2 sec fade in or fade out and one added volume control point. Audio already has one at beginning and end of clip.
2) If the cursor is not at the beginning or end, but within 2 sec of beginning or end, your get fade in or out from the cursor position to the beginning or end of the clip. So one can get a 1 sec fade in or out if the cursor is 1 sec from beginning or 1 sec from end
3) If the cursor is outside the 2 sec fade window from beginning or end, your get something not real useful. Other than some points to manually adjust, but what is a fade in or out at the 5 min mark of a 10 min clip? I guess you could recommend they do a 5 min fade but most wouldn't really want that.

Jeff
3POINT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Than I probably do not understand the purpose of this fade-in/out buttons. I thought I could use them to create quickly smooth volume duckings at certain positions in my audio clips.
AVPlayVideo
[Post New]
Quote Than I probably do not understand the purpose of this fade-in/out buttons. I thought I could use them to create quickly smooth volume duckings at certain positions in my audio clips.

PD has several ways of doing things
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
This tutorial show how to properly adjust volume in the middle of a clip with fades as desired by 3POINT: https://youtu.be/kzcgui2BF3w .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2020 07:30