Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector and NewBlue
CeriRees [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2011 16:49 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
There still seems to be something not quite right going on here. NewBlue just did an update to TotalFX and once again PD started crashing on loading - once for each plugin, I think. Then, once you've tried to launch PD enough times, PD magically works again.

Not sure where the fault lies. I think when PD got its last major update, NewBlue found they were installing plugins into the wrong directory, so I suspect the fault lies there again, but just thought I'd mention it. If you are using NewBlue TotalFX, you may run into the same issue.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If the issue you're having is with NewBlue Total FX - which is a separate, paid package - you may want to change the title of this discussion to include that detail so people will know that the issue you're having isn't related to any of the standard NewBlue PD plug-ins.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
May I ask what NB Total FX actually work in PD? I do not see it in the compatibility list. For instance, Titler? Does it work and what version/build? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote May I ask what NB Total FX actually work in PD? I do not see it in the compatibility list. For instance, Titler? Does it work and what version/build?

I haven't tried the newer paid goodies outside of downloading a trial of Titler Pro 7 (doesn't intergrate with PD, works as a stand-alone), but I know all the things in the New Blue FX Vault work. .... I still need to buy their motion blur stuff, but since I have Pixelan's Blur Pro loaded, I haven't seen the need yet.

Also, Titler Pro 1.5 comes with the PD Ultimate version and is fully intergated. I use that a TON for 3D title work, especially since non-365 users haven't gotten the nice update that fixes the standard 3D Title Room transitions.
Maliek [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Nov 10, 2012 12:01 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

I know all the things in the New Blue FX Vault work. ....

The NewBlue FX Vault is no longer available. It re-directs you to the NewBlue main product page. Subscribe to PowerDirector University on YouTube.

Subscribe to PDU Mobile on YouTube.
DavidADS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2021 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not a professional like most users here, but I certainly was looking forward to using their flicker remover, which is part of the new FX360 package. I downloaded trial and all I get is stand alone Titler.

I'm trying to clean up old family videos.

Extremely disappointed.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure that most people here on the forum are hobbyists and very few are "pros."

In any case, I don't think the TotalFX 360 package is compatible with PD20/365. If you look at the logos of the supported editors on their product page, you won't see one for PD:

Some of the individual components like Filters and Elements worked in PD17 up through PD19, but installing the new TotalFX package causes the older PD versions to crash after opening. Meanwhile as you've noted, few (if any) of the items appear in the current version of PD. None show up in PD365 on my end.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm not a professional like most users here, but I certainly was looking forward to using their flicker remover, which is part of the new FX360 package. I downloaded trial and all I get is stand alone Titler.

I'm trying to clean up old family videos.

Extremely disappointed.
Cyberlink Corporate has left all independent plugins in the past. Damned shame.
If you want to clean up video download Selur's Hybrid. It's free, it's got a learning curve, but has no equal.
it's powered by Avisynth and Vaporsynth and can do everything from sharpen to comet removal and colors and audio and
deinterlace and inverse telecine and and and...
You can then take your fixed footage and create your final file or DVD in PowerDirector.
May I ask what the family video files are, technically speaking?
Analog to digital tape capture? VCR? Camcorder?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2022 21:39

DavidADS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2021 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink Corporate has left all independent plugins in the past. Damned shame.
If you want to clean up video download Selur's Hybrid. It's free, it's got a learning curve, but has no equal.
it's powered by Avisynth and Vaporsynth and can do everything from sharpen to comet removal and colors and audio and
deinterlace and inverse telecine and and and...
You can then take your fixed footage and create your final file or DVD in PowerDirector.
May I ask what the family video files are, technically speaking?
Analog to digital tape capture? VCR? Camcorder?

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm continuing to work with poor videos and trying everything I can. At times I simply have to stop and take a breath.

The family videos are from old 8mm film, played against a screen and then video recorded screen with video cam. Had to track down old film projector just to play them. I'm probably doing it the hard way, but it is all I know right now.

Thank you for responding. I'm looking at Hybrid now per your suggestion. Thank you again!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm continuing to work with poor videos and trying everything I can. At times I simply have to stop and take a breath.

The family videos are from old 8mm film, played against a screen and then video recorded screen with video cam. Had to track down old film projector just to play them. I'm probably doing it the hard way, but it is all I know right now.

Thank you for responding. I'm looking at Hybrid now per your suggestion. Thank you again!

Hi,

I volunteer at a local museum and am just developing a "digitisation" process for the 1200+ cans of archive 16mm film. The following might be useful?

For the purposes of saving/reviewing and organising the footage, I use a Bell and Howell TQIII 1695 projecting through a simple telecine adaptor, set a Canon 200D on 1080p 24fps, and record away. It produces very acceptable results with no strobing or flickering, not archive quality or anything that could match professional frame scanning, but quite good enough for viewing and saving and very cost effective.

The audio is more of a problem, I am currently working on taking a mono output, either pre- or post- the projector amp, into a 9 band audio EQ, then attenuating the output to mic level and into the external mic input of the canon.

Currently, I use the external speaker, mounted in an acoustic box with a mic suspended in front of the speaker and connected to the canon mic input. It gives good results but no real possibility of fine tuning except by editing, which I am trying to avoid with 1200 cans to get through!!!!

From my research, the biggest issues are flicker or strobing, which is a combination of projector speed and camera recording speed and image quality projected onto a screen. Some 8mm projectors have variable speed controllers and they can work wonders in matching projection to recording. The smaller the image and the quality of "screen surface" will also have an influence on quality. The telecine adapter is only something like a 5" square image onto ground glass, which is clearly defined and quite bright so recording has a better chance of looking good.

If the museum could afford something like a Cintel Scanner C-Drive HDR scanner at £22k my problems would be solved!

Adrian