Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 18 Stops Responding Whenever I Try to Save the Project
jikaru [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2020 19:06 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Hello Folks,

PowerDirector 18 Stops Responding Whenever I Try to Save a Project.

Can anyone help me? It's very frustrating. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The FAQs are the best place to start, and please provide us with the DxDiag report and exact version number of PD as described here.

If you have Auto save turned on, you should be able to recover your project:

jikaru [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The FAQs are the best place to start, and please provide us with the DxDiag report and exact version number of PD as described here.

If you have Auto save turned on, you should be able to recover your project:

My PD Version is 18.0.2725.0 and my SR# 200203-03
jikaru [Avatar]
[Post New]

My PD Version is 18.0.2725.0 and my SR# 200203-03
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
101 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks! You've got the latest version of PD18 so you're all set there.

The next thing to do is to update your drivers on your new(ish) Inspiron. The Dell support page shows there's an "urgent" BIOS upgrade that was released just yesterday - although I don't expect that the security issue it's meant to fix is affecting PD in any way.

You also have the latest Dell-approved driver installed for your Intel UHD Graphics GPU. There are more recent versions that have been released by Intel, but it can be difficult to install "OEM" drivers on Dell machines. Still, let the Dell webpage scan your system and detect any drivers that need updating.

If things still look grim, try opening an older project or creating a new project and see if PD will let you make changes and save it. It's possible that the project you've been working with has become corrupt, and the only way to proceed would be to recover an earlier version that was autosaved before the problem occurred or to start all over.

If you can't even work with a new project, try running steps 1 and 3 in this post. For step 3, ignore the part about the App Manager and use the PD18 installer instead.

NOTE: Don't uninstall PD18 unless you have the original installer present. You'll need to contact CL customer service to get a new copy and a response can take several days. After it's reinstalled make sure you update to 2725 from here.
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Opto said
If you can't even work with a new project, try running steps 1 and 3 in this post. For step 3, ignore the part about the App Manager and use the PD18 installer instead.

And my question is 'what PD18 installer?'

When I bought my copy, there wasn't an installer provided, the email invoice contained install instructions which said:

• download the files using the weblink supplied for each one

• run the program exe first

• and then the content files in any sequence.

So, what installer?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote run the program exe first

That's the installer. Cyberlink only allows the installer and all related files to be downloaded for 30 days from the date of purchase, so if you haven't saved that .exe file (and the others) you'll need to contact customer service to get a new copy.

Save them to a cloud folder or external USB drive so you'll always have them if an emergency occurs.
jikaru [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your help.

I think it may be possible that PD doesn't like mov files. I converted the ones I was editing to mp4 files and for the moment it seems to have corrected the problem. Let's see if that remains the case.

Anyway...Thanks again. I appreciate it.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I think it may be possible that PD doesn't like mov files. I converted the ones I was editing to mp4 files and for the moment it seems to have corrected the problem. Let's see if that remains the case.

That's very easy to check. To work with .MOV clips you need to either have Apple's QuickTime (which is no longer being supported on Windows) or a free app called QTLite installed.

You can also upload a sample clip to a cloud folder on OneDrive or Google Drive and paste the link here so other people can see if there's anything unusual about it that PD might not like. It's happened before, but usually the problem is related to QT.
jikaru [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I have Quicktime installed and have previously used mov files with no problem.

Would QTlite be preferable?
Davidk101
Senior Member Location: Brisbane Australia Joined: Jun 24, 2020 02:38 Messages: 172 Offline
[Post New]
Re mov files . .
It's possible that you don't have the QuickTime (QT) codecs installed, and without those any mov files don't work. It's an issue that every editor faced/faces: years ago, Apple discontinued support for the QT player on security grounds: they considered fixing hazardous bugs not worth the effort, and in consequence the US DoD issued a discontinue usage immdediately directive for the QT player. But that player also came with the essential codecs for .mov files, and those codecs were/are not subject to the security problem. And you can install the codecs without installing the player.

I've attached a wmv file on this topic I screen captured several years ago - it covers what happens in 3 editors (doesn't include PD) when there are no mov codecs installed, and when they are, and how to install just the codecs.
 Filename
Installing MOV codecs.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
17348 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
jikaru [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Re mov files . .
It's possible that you don't have the QuickTime (QT) codecs installed, and without those any mov files don't work. It's an issue that every editor faced/faces: years ago, Apple discontinued support for the QT player on security grounds: they considered fixing hazardous bugs not worth the effort, and in consequence the US DoD issued a discontinue usage immdediately directive for the QT player. But that player also came with the essential codecs for .mov files, and those codecs were/are not subject to the security problem. And you can install the codecs without installing the player.

I've attached a wmv file on this topic I screen captured several years ago - it covers what happens in 3 editors (doesn't include PD) when there are no mov codecs installed, and when they are, and how to install just the codecs.

Thank you, David. Much appreciated.
Jim