Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Vid FX Tutorials
Elynde [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2019 04:50 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all! I have been making digital visual effect tutorials using PowerDirector for a few months now, and I love a good challenge. That said, I am taking requests.

Have you seen an effect and wondered how it might be done in PowerDirector 19? Point me towards a clip, or explain what you want to accomplish. I will do my very best to figure the effect out and get a tutorial posted.

Keep in mind, I am no 3D effects master and don't have my makeup-wizard little sister nearby to whip up any prosthetics. So, I am limited to digial wizardry here.

Supernatural Style Wings
Fire and Magic

The following tutorials are from PowerDirector 18. Forgive me, but I only recently updated to PowerDirector 19.

Portals: Walking on Edge
Creating Planets
Spooky Light
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
If you can do a simple Star Trek transporter effect I'll be very impressed!

Another challenging effect would be the break-into-dust effect from the last couple of Avengers movies. But don't kill yourself trying to recreate this one. It's easier to do in After Effects and HitFilm. But if you can do it in PowerDirector, I'll give you a gold star!

And certainly the most requested effect these days is the Zoom effect, aka the Brady Bunch effect, in which you have several faces or musical instruments appear split-screen as they speak, sing or play together.

I'm working on my own version of that last one. But I'd like to see how you do it.

Thanks for being up for the challenge!
Elynde [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you can do a simple Star Trek transporter effect I'll be very impressed!

Another challenging effect would be the break-into-dust effect from the last couple of Avengers movies. But don't kill yourself trying to recreate this one. It's easier to do in After Effects and HitFilm. But if you can do it in PowerDirector, I'll give you a gold star!

And certainly the most requested effect these days is the Zoom effect, aka the Brady Bunch effect, in which you have several faces or musical instruments appear split-screen as they speak, sing or play together.

I'm working on my own version of that last one. But I'd like to see how you do it.

Well... This took longer than I care to admit, but I figured out the dimensions needed to pull off the Brady Bunch / Zoom Call effect. Here you go:

Zoom Call Effect

As to theStar Trek transporter and the Thanos Snap, I made an attempt at those on PD 18. I need to re-do these with 19 (and my newer skills) and see what I can come up with.
3POINT [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 01, 2015 03:52 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
No need to go to PIP designer, just set the grid to 3X3 and snap to that grid in the preview window when resizing/placing each videoclip that has been put on the timeline. Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909, Sony PXW-X160.
Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur/PowerDirector365
Hardware: i910900k,32GB,GTX2080s, 1920x1200 display
Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108
Elynde [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go! I simplified my transporter tutorial using PowerDirector 19. I hope this helps. Transporter V2 Tutorial

I am working on simplifying the Thanos Snap, too. So, I hope to have that up for you next week.

Quote If you can do a simple Star Trek transporter effect I'll be very impressed!