Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem Capturing Video Using PowerDirector 8
AshJT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 08, 2009 23:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I've just updated from PowerDirector 7 Deluxe to PowerDirector 8 Ultra using Windows Vista. I am trying to capture a VHS home video using a standard VCR. I have had no problems doing this using both PD 6/7 but when I go to capture using PD 8 I get a message saying "An error occurred. Unable to prepare for recording." I receive the same message weather I'm trying to capture from a TV Signal or trying to capture from a digital TV signal.

I currently have both a coaxial cable and a red/yellow/white audio-video cable running from the VCR to the back of the PC but have tried switching them all around with no luck.

It is the same setup and settings that I used in PD 7 that worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Let me know if you need more info...Thank you.
Valerie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 18, 2009 03:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
AshJT I will keep an eye on what response you receive.

I have upgraded from PD6 to PD8. I have successfully captured VHS tapes in PD6 and burned them to DVD.

Like you I'm now unable to find how I can capture from my VHS player.

I only upgraded because PD6 was sending me error messages, even after uninstalling and reinstalling, and I thought it had become unstable.

I am running Windows Vista have PD Ultra 8.00.1930.

I am using a Kaiserbaas cable connection and am using the red/white cable from the VHS to a USB port. Same set up as for capturing in PD6.

I too am new to this forum and as such am unable to work out how to bullet point my issues.

Any help would be much appreciated. Valerie in Sydney Australia
AshJT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also, I am using PowerDirector 8 Build 8.00.2207
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I am just throwing this out there because I had to make an adjustment when capturing from VHS to PD8

Do you get the error message when the Capture tab is selected and PD8 attempts to load your systems capture devices? If not when does the error occur?

Another question: Are you able to capture video from any other application or is it just within PD8?

Good Luck and look forward to your reply!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2009 23:19

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
AshJT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, as soon as I select the capture tab it says "Initializing analog device...please wait." Then it says "An error occurred. Unable to prepare for recording."

PowerDirector 6 and 7 have been the only applications I've been using to capture video and have had no problems with either version prior to this update.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
It would be helpful to verify that you are able to capture video from another program, this would help to isolate the cause of your problem. One application that may be available to you on your Vista System would be Windows Movie Maker. It has a video capture aspect to it.

If you have Windows Movie Maker, which I hope you do:

1. Select "Capture from video device."

2. A window should then open showing your available Capture devices.

3. Select the appropriate "Video Input Source" In my case, I have several analog inputs video input 1, video input 2, s video 1, svideo 2, and tuner. Select the correct input that your VHS player is connected to. Then selsect the correct setting for your "Audio Device" probably the "Line In".

4. click "Next" and then enter a name for this captured video and its destination folder.

5. Click "Next" leave it on the default setting "Best quality for Playback on my Computer".

6. Click "next" you should now be at a window with a preview screen. Start your VHS playback and you should see it in the preview screen. If so, select the "Start Capture" button. When finished recording, select the "Stop Capture" button. A video file should now populate to your desired folder.

Sorry for the lengthy step by step!! If a video clip is created you can at least import it into PD8 for editing. If you were not able to capture from Windows Video Maker then you might need to focus on your capture device, ie. drivers, connections, etc.

Lets start from here and see what works and then try to resolve the error message in PD8. I hope this all makes sense to you, and you are successful in capturing from this application.

If any other members have suggestions or a more stream lined troubleshooting workflow, please assist!!

Good Luck!

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 18. 2009 21:55

AshJT [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin, thanks for the help...I was able capture a short clip using Windows Movie Maker and edit it in PD8. That method worked fine but ideally I'd like to be able to do both using PD8.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Ash JT,

Glad to see that you were able to capture through WMM. I might suggest that you put in a service ticket for Power Director to see if they can assist you, as I don't at this point have a solution.

Other members may have some suggestions, but at least you have some more information. I have seen other types of problems resolved by users uninstalling and reinstalling PD8.

Sorry that I can't be of further assistance, I have hit the brick wall on this one.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Ash JT,

I copied and pasted the procedure for uninstalling and reinstalling Power Director which is found in the Tasks to Carry Out, found in the Index of this forum:

A re-installation of your software can resolve usage problems.
PART C
Uninstall and reinstall of PowerDirector

Try the following way to re-install PowerDirector:
a.) Start--> Programs -->Cyberlink PowerDirector --> Uninstall PowerDirector
b.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit" --> click "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" --> click "Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete the "PowerDirector" folder
c.) Start --> Run --> type "regedit"--> click "Hkey_Current_user" --> click
"Software" --> locate "Cyberlink" ----> click the "+" (if you have more than one CyberLink product) -->Delete "PowerDirector" folder.
d.) Delete C:\Programs Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector
And reboot your PC.
After this, please install your PowerDirector

Give it a try!!

Kevin
GKoch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2011 23:04 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the same problem/same error message with my PowerDirector Ultra64 version 9.0.0.3305.

Thanks,
Greg
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Has this issue been resolved? I'm having the same problem/same error message with my PowerDirector Ultra64 version 9.0.0.3305.

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, that issue was resolved, that message is a very old one, from 2009.

I would recommend you look for a updated version of your capture device's software on the manufacturer's web site and re-install the software for your capture device.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.