Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
BlackVue Dashcam file will not play within PD16?
Wailer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 04, 2020 19:30 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi! I'm in the middle of a project that I need to include some footage from my BlackVue DR900S Dashcam. I import the one minute file (HEVC 265 Codec), but it will not play within PD16. Outside PD it plays fine. I've tried other files, and none of them will play within PD16. I've tried importing it into other video editing software (DaVinci Resolve, Filmora, etc) and they all load it fine. I am not comfortable with Resolve and don't want to buy another product like Filmora just to complete this small project). Can anybody tell me what's going on or what I can do to resolve this issue? Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might post the exact PD16 product you are using (print screen after selecting PowerDirector in upper right corner), they don't all support H.265.

Simply convert the H.265 with a free product like HandBrake to a basic H.264 file of similar quality specifications and work with that in PD16.

Share you sample footage (Dropbox, Google Drive,...)for some other possible workarounds.

Jeff
Wailer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You might post the exact PD16 product you are using (print screen after selecting PowerDirector in upper right corner), they don't all support H.265.

Simply convert the H.265 with a free product like HandBrake to a basic H.264 file of similar quality specifications and work with that in PD16.

Share you sample footage (Dropbox, Google Drive,...)for some other possible workarounds.

Jeff

<video controls="controls" width="142" height="71">
<source src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/15zr_Dln4Z4dq1TsfDktAZN3fe-NjzRj3/view?usp=sharing" />
</video>

Thanks Jeff! It's PD16 Ultimate, ver. 16.0.3424.0, That could be what I'll have to do. Now I just have to figure out HandBrake! Thanks for the tip. Short clip link attached.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 04. 2020 21:43

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You need to set the permissions on your Google Drive clip to make it publicly accessible, otherwise you'll have to grant permission to every person that requests access. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ.

I also have a Blackvue camera and while PD19/365 can work with the HEVC clip without any problem, PD14 crashes as soon as I try to import it. I have a linked clip in this post.

In the long run, I think it's going to be easier to just set the dashcam to record in AVC (H.264) rather than HEVC (H.265) unless you upgrade to a newer version of PD. The files will be larger but you won't have any issues working with them straight out of the camera or off the micro SD card.
Wailer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You need to set the permissions on your Google Drive clip to make it publicly accessible, otherwise you'll have to grant permission to every person that requests access. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ.

I also have a Blackvue camera and while PD19/365 can work with the HEVC clip without any problem, PD14 crashes as soon as I try to import it. I have a linked clip in this post.

In the long run, I think it's going to be easier to just set the dashcam to record in AVC (H.264) rather than HEVC (H.265) unless you upgrade to a newer version of PD. The files will be larger but you won't have any issues working with them straight out of the camera or off the micro SD card.

Thanks! I changed the link to public. That's kinda what I was starting to believe about the CODECs within PD16. Thanks for confirming, and letting me know that newer stand-alone versions of PD will process H.265 files. Big help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2020 09:37

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks! I've cleand up your link, so anyone can click here if they want to download the clip.

Just to confirm, I have no problems working with your Blackvue clip on my end:

Wailer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks! I've cleand up your link, so anyone can click here if they want to download the clip.

Just to confirm, I have no problems working with your Blackvue clip on my end:

Hmmmm, interesting! I guess I need to update to the latest PD to work with these files unless I want to convert them all to H.264. Thanks for the feedback. This is all good info. I see this is PD365. I wonder if the latest stand-alone version (PD19) will play them. Can anyone confirm they will play in PD19?
optodata
[Post New]
PD19 is the current version of PD365 (you can see that in the version number). The two versions are not identical but the difference is in features, not in clip/codec capability.

As I wrote earlier, you should also be able to set your dashcams to record in H.264 like this screenshot from the user manual shows:

You'd still need to convert any existing clips you'd like to work with in PD16 but new clips would work straight away.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
There is a stereo sound track on Wailer’s clip but no audio was recorded or heard with any viewer. Optodata’s September clip does have audio that can be heard.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote There is a stereo sound track on Wailer’s clip but no audio was recorded or heard with any viewer. Optodata’s September clip does have audio that can be heard.

The dashcams can be set to turn off the mic. This clip and mine have identical audio settings except that OP's has a constant bit rate mode, and that makes sense if there is no recorded audio.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hmmmm, interesting! I guess I need to update to the latest PD to work with these files unless I want to convert them all to H.264. Thanks for the feedback. This is all good info. I see this is PD365. I wonder if the latest stand-alone version (PD19) will play them. Can anyone confirm they will play in PD19?

Your file appears to work fine in PD17, 18, or 19, standalone perpetual key versions. It does not work in PD16 as you note.

Jeff