Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to Import Clips less than 1 second long
Johnny Gunn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2020 04:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I know this seems like a niche problem, but due to the nature of my editing work I need to work with some very short loops, just under a second long.

When I attempt to import them, I receive the following error: An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.
The duration of an H.264 video must be longer than 1 second.

I have the current version of PowerDirector, and have confirmed that this issue persists in PowerDirector 11. The issue persists with different files of a variety of formats. I've successfully imported the same clip to Adobe Premiere, Corel VideoStudio - even Windows Movie Maker. What's bizarre is that PowerDirector can even produce a clip under a second long, but is then unable to import its own clip.

Surely household name paid software like PowerDirector must be able to do something this basic. Am I going to have to switch editing software over this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Johnny Gunn [Avatar]
[Post New]
NovazYT is dealing with the same issue here, but was able to import audio-only clips as a workaround. Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There is a physical limit on how short a clip can be to be usable in PD. Did you try the approach I mentioned in the linked discussion?
Johnny Gunn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There is a physical limit on how short a clip can be to be usable in PD. Did you try the approach I mentioned in the linked discussion?

I did see your reply - unfortunately the clips I need (short loops and transitions) are less than 1 second in their original form.

Something I did try was using alternative software to extend the clip length and then shorten it in PD - but now I am unable to import the shortened clip when I need to use it in my next project.

It would seem that there isn't a physical limit on how short a clip can be to be usable, but rather on how short a clip can be to be imported. It's a really peculiar problem I haven't found with any other editing software and I'm really surprised that there doesn't seem to be a workaround. This issue would make PD almost unusuable for anyone doing YouTube-style/entertainment videos involving short transitions and effects.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 27. 2020 10:43

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Johnny Gunn, I'm not sure why CL changed the functionality but they did it ages ago. PD9 was the last version that could import short duration clips, that was a 2011 release. Since PD10 it's been "broken" so to speak, so the last 9 yrs. Been flagged periodically as import issue but behavior still exists. I used to use short camera recordings as easy separation points during filming and had to change approach since PD10.

I know of no permanent work around. If these are clips you normally work with, only thing one can do is keep a longer version available for editing and then when used shorten it on the timeline as you figured out.

I'd suggest the File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions to express your need.

Jeff
RobertCarpenter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2019 16:00 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know this seems like a niche problem, but due to the nature of my editing work I need to work with some very short loops, just under a second long.

When I attempt to import them, I receive the following error: An error occurred while opening this media file in the media library. It may be because the file is broken, an unsupported format, protected video content, or for another reason. Try contacting your video provider for a different video format.
The duration of an H.264 video must be longer than 1 second.

I have the current version of PowerDirector, and have confirmed that this issue persists in PowerDirector 11. The issue persists with different files of a variety of formats. I've successfully imported the same clip to Adobe Premiere, Corel VideoStudio - even Windows Movie Maker. What's bizarre is that PowerDirector can even produce a clip under a second long, but is then unable to import its own clip.

Surely household name paid software like PowerDirector must be able to do something this basic. Am I going to have to switch editing software over this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I too was just surprised at this "feature" of PD not importing, in my case, PD's own produced file <1 second (33 frames). Since I wanted the produced audio/video file available in the library for easy playback, I added a title on the first track at 00;59 that was 1 frame long and all black resulting in a clip that was 01;00 seconds|frames long. The produced file is now added to the library and the title is easily removed. Unfortunately this is not a solution to your import issue, I was just getting the same error message.