Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 and PD19 co-existing
jimbo360 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2018 15:06 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am currently using PD 16 Ultimate and am considering installing PD 19 Ultimate (life license). Can PD 19 be installed on the same computer without one messing up the other or would the older version have to be uninstalled first

Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There are many discussions on the forum about this subject, and the basic answer is that there's no issue with 2 or more versions of PD being installed on the same system.

In fact, the best way to be certain that the new version has access to all your existing content and downloads is to install it without first uninstalling the older version.

One potential issue is whether you purchase a new license for PD19 at full-price or if instead you pay a discounted price for an upgrade.

In the former case, everything will work like you've described with both versions available. If you pay for an upgrade though, PD19 will uninstall PD16 (although it should keep all of the existing settings).

Also remember that any projects created or saved in PD19 can never be opened in PD16, so it may help to make a new copy of your older projects for PD19 in case you ever need to edit the originals again in PD16.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 21. 2020 20:26

LNMProductions [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2018 02:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I currently run Director Suite 365 (w/PowerDirector 19) and I still have my old version of PowerDirector 16 installed on my Windows 10 PC. As far as I know i have not run into issues having both installed and I use PowerDirector daily doing a lot of editing.
jimbo360 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are many discussions on the forum about this subject, and the basic answer is that there's no issue with 2 or more versions of PD being installed on the same system.

In fact, the best way to be certain that the new version has access to all your existing content and downloads is to install it without first uninstalling the older version.

One potential issue is whether you purchase a new license for PD19 at full-price or if instead you pay a discounted price for an upgrade.

In the former case, everything will work like you've described with both versions available. If you pay for an upgrade though, PD19 will uninstall PD16 (although it should keep all of the existing settings).

Also remember that any projects created or saved in PD19 can never be opened in PD16, so it may help to make a new copy of your older projects for PD19 in case you ever need to edit the originals again in PD16.

Thanks, it is what I needed to know. I will be doing a new full install. It was my understanding that one could not upgrade to 19 from 16, but makes no difference as that waas not my plan. Thanks again!
jimbo360 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I currently run Director Suite 365 (w/PowerDirector 19) and I still have my old version of PowerDirector 16 installed on my Windows 10 PC. As far as I know i have not run into issues having both installed and I use PowerDirector daily doing a lot of editing.

Thanks, your experience is reassuring!